question

kclendaniel avatar image
kclendaniel asked

Future of LoRaWan module

I noticed in the documentation that there was mentioned in the LORAWAN module docs the release of the LTE-M module. Is the long term plan to drop the LORAWAN? I know the TTN network is spotty in places but the technology is sound. The Helium LongFi network uses the same tech and seems to be quickly becoming a dominate player in LORAWAN and I would love to connect my LORAWAN module to that network. Would it be possible for Victron to open source the config to allow for the community to re-program these devices (effectively just a nicely packaged LoPy4) to use whatever network we choose to send data back to your servers?

Venus OSLoRaWAN
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kclendaniel avatar image kclendaniel commented ·

Also as a follow up I found GitHub links to your code for this device posted but they appear to be broken.

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
Lasse avatar image
Lasse answered ·

Hi @kclendaniel,

I am not sure about the future of the VE.Direct LoRaWAN module. I will bring your question to the development team. Making the code of the module open source would not be enough as you would also need to make an integration with the LoRaWAN operator and then have the data logged to VRM.

I will get back to you as soon as we know more!

BR, Lasse

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Lasse avatar image
Lasse answered ·

@kclendaniel At the moment there are no immediate plans to stop with the LoRaWAN module. It depends on the demand for the product.

2 |3000

marc-f avatar image
marc-f answered ·

Hello,

Following on from kclendaniel is there a way to connect a VE.Direct LoRaWAN module to the Helium Network.

I believe the Helium network is very similar to TTN network and also uses LoRaWAN protocols.

Coverage for the helium network has now by far outgrown the TTN network. I think it would a great advantage for your product to be able to connect to both.

Here is more info:

https://docs.helium.com/use-the-network/devices/

Thanks,

Marc

1 comment
2 |3000

Lasse avatar image Lasse ♦♦ commented ·
Hi Marc,

It's been a while but as the Helium network is growing I will check with the team if this is possible.

Lasse

0 Likes 0 ·
claudio-rosa avatar image
claudio-rosa answered ·

Good afternoon,

I am begin to create a LoRaWAN network with LTE backhaul to do a coverage full Rio de Janeiro. This is what make sense for public networks, I mean work with a unlicensed open global standard, as LoRaWAN.

Take a look in my project for Rio de Janeiro Operation Center:

ROC Third Challenge

ROC - choice

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic