question

oldcrow avatar image
oldcrow asked

Does Venus GX try to re establish lost internet connection?

Hi all

I am puzzled by loss of VRM connection by my Venus GX after the local 4G connection was lost for 6 hours.

My other internet dependent remote sensor and control devices all came back to life but not the GX. It is connected by ethernet cable to a router with a USB 4G dongle.

The router automatically reboots the USB when the 4G internet does not respond. The system worked flawlessly for 6 weeks prior to the loss of the local phone network. As yet I have not configured a VPN from home to check the status of Venus locally (on the to do list, thought I had it nailed before I took the box 13000 km to destination but epic fail).

Soooooo....Does the Venus seek the portal again if the connection goes down or do I need to reset or reboot it?

Regards

Oldcrow

Venus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Yes, it should reconnect. When the telco has done work over night or I'm doing my own maintainance on my LAN, my GX has always restored it's connection and uploaded stored data points automatically without any intervention from me.
It's difficult to determine if your GX is failing to connect to your router again on your LAN side or if it is a problem beyond the router. I have my Venus GX is on a vLAN with the DHCP server disabled, so I have a static IP configuration in the GX it's self which mitigates any problems with DHCP leases expiring during down times.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Maybe the telco has done some network changes in those 6 hrs. and your routers IP Routing Table got messed up. This can happen. That would be an explanation why the other devices (connecting to other servers) are still online. In most cases on cheap routers the only way out is to reboot it. I would also recommend to use a static network address, instead of DHCP.

Regards,

Markus

2 |3000

oldcrow avatar image
oldcrow answered ·

Hi WKirby and Marcus

Thanks for the information. Knowing it should be hunting for the portal is the critical issue.

Ok when I get back to Eu will log in locally and troubleshoot. I thought the local IP address although from DHCP is assigned specific place in network. Interesting idea about tables messing up. Will check that once on site and leave feedback as to what has failed (April or even July next year...).

Thanks, consider it answered

oldcrow

2 |3000

Related Resources