question

michael-trotter avatar image
michael-trotter asked

Orion 12/12-30 Isolated with BMV712

Hi,

I've had a bit of trouble finding example diagrams for using the Orion 12/12-30 DC-DC charger with the BMV712 battery monitor. Could someone take a look at this diagram and tell me if I'm on the right track...?

Cheers,bmv712-wiring.png

battery charging
bmv712-wiring.png (139.9 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mark avatar image Mark commented ·

If your looking to monitor your AGM’s,then the shunt needs to be positioned on the other side of your battery bank(adjacent to your 50A fuse).the output of orion needs to be connected up stream of the repositioned shunt(ie...connected to the fuse block position)

0 Likes 0 ·
michael-trotter avatar image michael-trotter Mark commented ·

Thanks Mark, I appreciate your reply. I've got it up and running now thanks to Gordon and yourself.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Gordon Clement avatar image
Gordon Clement answered ·

Observe my horrible edits below

The idea is that you want the shunt to be between your batteries and every other load or charging source on your system. It's like a gatekeeper. If the charger is pushing current into the battery bank to charge it, you want that going through the shunt because you want to keep track of that. Similarly, if your DC loads are drawing power out of the batteries, you want that going through the shunt too. This way, the BMV can count every amp in or out of the batteries and tell you what's left at any given time.

revised-victron-correction.png

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

michael-trotter avatar image michael-trotter commented ·

Hi Gordon, thanks very much for taking the time to reply, this was very helpful. Once the bmv arrived and I had a look at the shunt I could see it was clearly labelled, as per your diagram, with charger and load at one end and battery at the other. Ive just got it up and running and all looks good. Thanks again!

0 Likes 0 ·