question

michael-gerrard avatar image
michael-gerrard asked

Do I need a DC/DC charge when using a BMS12/200 to charge from an alternator

This is my first build and it is going into a commercial camper.

I am planning on using a 200Amp/h Smart Battery, which states it needs a BMS to work.

The BMS 12/200 states that it is a dedicated product for this application, where connected to an alternator of a boat/ vehicle.
Do I connect the BMS directly to the start battery? or will it require a DC/DC charger to moderate the flow?

As a supplementary question, do I also route the MPPT from solar and the mains charger through the BMS.

Thanks

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
liopleuredon avatar image
liopleuredon answered ·

Hey,

You can moderate (down,not up) the charg current by changing the fuse in the 12/200 BMS and yes everything(MPPT,chargers,all loads....) has to go true the BMS.

Regards

Eric

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dgnevans avatar image
dgnevans answered ·

According to the manual you do not need to have the dc/dc charger.
The question I would ask is does your alternator keep the voltage at 14 - 14.5 v for long enough for the battery to charge to full. the BMS will protect the alternator and starter battery and will protect your lithium charging the lithium at the correct level you would need to install a fuse appropriate for the alternator you have.
I have had to use a dc/ dc charger in the past in a vehicle as the voltage for charging a start battery in my vehicle is 14v and then then once full it drops to 13.5 v. which left my Aux battery never getting full as it require 14.5 v for bulk and 13.5 for float, and it never spend enough time on bulk.

2 |3000