question

markmoto avatar image
markmoto asked

How many amps on float mode for agm battery?

Hi,

How many amps should Orion TR 12/12 30 be pushing into Victron AGM battery on float charge?

When float charge starts I am getting 5-6 amps in for the first 30 minutes and then slowly down to 2.5 amps but that would take an hour or so,

Would that mean the battery is still getting charge for the first 30 minutes?

Thanks

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@markmoto

This is a difficult one to answer without knowing battery health and discharge history.

In float mode you should see a reduced voltage however and on a healthy set of agms about a 1% maybe 2% of capacity amperage draw to keep them from suphating.

I would only worry if the batteries are heating up or are off gassing alot.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Trina avatar image
Trina answered ·

They shouldnt gas at all ever really!

It is my understanding the amps will initially be higher as the smart charger finds and confirms battery SOC and goes into float mode. You will see some of what you describe.esp. if you are at all plugging something in that wasn't responsible for the absorbtion stage.

2 |3000