question

iand avatar image
iand asked

Cerbo GX interfacing to Bellmarine motor controller via NMEA2000

I'm doing some future planning for a possible electric/serial hybrid narrowboat, plan is to use a Quattro 48/10000 with Cerbo GX/Touch50 to connect/control a 10kVa 230Vac generator, 2 BYD LVL 15.4 LiFePO4 batteries (30kWh), 2kW solar/MPPT, and drive a 20kW Bellmarine Drivemaster controller/PMAC motor.

It seems that the BYD batteries are no problem but the motor is, the controller uses NMEA2000 not VEbus or CANbus. The Cerbo can act as an NMEA2000 gateway (slave) to relay data from the VEbus equipment onto the NMEA2000 bus, but it doesn't seem that it can act as an NMEA2000 master to control and monitor the motor and controller -- is this correct?

If so I'll have to fit another (very expensive!) NMEA2000 controller/display (e.g. Garmin or Raymarine? or the dedicated Bellmarine display for motor only) to do just for the motor pretty much what the Cerbo does for everything else -- which seems crazy since the Cerbo obviously has the hardware to do this.

Is this correct -- the Cerbo can't control/monitor NMEA2000 hardware? If so it seems like a huge oversight, especially for a product which says:

“The new NMEA 2000-out support has the GX easily integrated into any boats network.”

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
jorge-angeleri avatar image
jorge-angeleri answered ·

Hi, my name is Jorge. I have a similar situation. The owner of 50 footer catamaran is going to change to electric propulsion with 2 20kw motor from Bellamrine. The idea is to install a Victron ESS with 48 V via Lynx distributor , Lynx BMS, Cerbo Gx etc. Im not sure if the BMS/Cerbo can comunicate with the Bellamarine motor controller. I would like to know if you can help me in any way. Thanks a lot.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic