question

gal-ecker avatar image
gal-ecker asked

Orion Tr isolated charger- remote cable function

I'm trying to understand On/Off options for the charger before purchasing. I couldn't find much information about the choices that you have on the victron app. However, I do understand there is a choice between "converter" and "charger" mode.

*I will be using it on my boat between the house bank(charged by alternator and an AC/DC charger) and a seperate Bow-thruster bank.

Question 1: are "converter" and "charger" the only options for triggering on the unit?

Question 2: does this choice effect anything else besides the activation and deactivation of the unit? For example, I would like to choose the "converter" option and leave the remote terminals permanently bridged. This way the unit will only kick in while the alternator is working. However, I will be using the unit to charge a battery bank. Is the "converter" option ideal for accurately charging batteries?

Thanks to all in advance!

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
d-winterburn avatar image
d-winterburn answered ·

I'm not sure what manual you are accessing for your terms but the Smart Tr DC to DC units I have offer two choices of output: 1. Battery charger mode with adaptive 3-stage charge algorithm: bulk – absorption – float which is configurable by the user; and 2. Power Supply mode where the output is fixed based on your chosen settings. If you are charging another battery bank then choosing battery charger mode is the way to go. The alternator 'on' sense mode (remote jumper in place) is easy to configure and works every time once setup correctly. The Bluetooth app is simple and straightforward. Hope this helps.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gal-ecker avatar image gal-ecker commented ·

Thank you for your time

I'm was reading the "Orion-Tr smart charger isolated" manual found online.

About achieving the Alternator sense feature- can you achive this with the little remote terminals permanently bridged?

0 Likes 0 ·
Gordon Clement avatar image Gordon Clement commented ·

one note on "works every time"- yes, kind of. there can be weird cases. for me, I have a diesel generator and my main engine both wired to the same starter batteries that the Orion uses as it's source, and sometimes the activity of the generator can confuse the Orion no matter what the main engine is doing. This is not that common however and mostly happens when the main engine is off and the generator starts, which makes sense but is inconvenient.

0 Likes 0 ·