question

victorvictron avatar image
victorvictron asked

Storage help for new LiFePO4 battery

Delays caused by the pandemic have left me with a brand new Victron LiFePO4 200Ah battery that won't be connected until the rest of the system components arrive. Unfortunately it's now been 3 months sitting in the box and could be there for another 1-3 months until it's installed. How long can new batteries be left unused before degrading or being damaged and what should I be doing during this period to keep it healthy? I've been checking the voltage once a fortnight with a multimeter, it currently reads 13.32V which hasn't changed since its arrival 3 months ago.

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Hi If it drops below 13 volts then charging it be helpfull just for piece of mind for yourself

using a standard car charger is fine top it upto 14.2 volts and then if and when it drops below 13v top it up again

Really you have nothing to worry about unless the voltage got as low as 12v then its really time to charge the battery. These dont loose much power in storage at all.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

victorvictron answered ·

Thanks Paul

2 |3000

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @VictorVictron

13,2 volt is perfect, they can be stored for a long time like that.

What you do want to do is connect to them with VictronConnect to make sure they have the latest firmware inside, the latest firmware makes them store-able even longer.

2 |3000

victorvictron answered ·

Thanks Daniël I’ve paired the battery with the app and updated the firmware to v1.19 as suggested. Here are my new battery’s stats. Will this be fine as is for long term storage? 79f6987c-cd2e-4d68-b658-94e6693cffea.jpeg

2 |3000

Related Resources