question

felixsteinbeis avatar image
felixsteinbeis asked

Blue Smart IP22 Charger: No characteristic absorption curve

Hello,

I need your help. I have a problem with my Blue Smart IP22 Charger 12/15.

The charger should charge a lithium battery (4 x Winston cells). I have set the absorption voltage to 14.2 Volt. The highest cell is at 3,568V. So there is no OVP situation.

In the absorption phase the current should drops at constant voltage: But after about five minutes, the current and voltage jump wildly up and down in the absorption phase.

victron.png

What is the reason for this behavior and why doesn't the current simply drop further towards 0?

Thank you very much.

Best regards

Felix

battery charging
victron.png (417.5 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

felixsteinbeis avatar image felixsteinbeis commented ·

New findings.

Another Blue Smart IP22 Charger 12/15 have the same behavior.

But a Phoenix Smart Charger IP43 12/30 (1+1) have a correct characteristic charge curve with a constant voltage and a smooth dropping current until 0 A, like expected.

In my opinion, it could be a firmware issue.

Best regards

Felix

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
carnival avatar image
carnival answered ·

My Bluesmart IP22 does the same, but i noticed a difference in the cell balancing of the victron LiFePo smart battery.

As suggested in the manual, I kept the battery for cell balancing at 14.2V with a lab supply. No matter how long i kept it there, the cells never seem to equalize. Even when the charging current droppet almost to zero.

They even seemed to drift away even more with this method.

When I got my BlueSmart IP22, I noticed the same behaviour as mentioned from Felix. For my surprise the cells where completely balanced within two or three charging cycles, using the standard Li-Ion settings of the Bluesmart IP22.

I guess this pulsating current helps the balancing ciruit in some way to balance the cells.

Maybe the Victron guys can give a explanation for this.

Best regards

Reinhard

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.