question

bjorn-madsen avatar image
bjorn-madsen asked

Are battery balancers overkill for 24v series of 12v lithium batteries?

I have a battery bank configured like this:

1606386195352.png

Where the batteries are TN 54Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) Battery. The batteries have internal cell balancing, and built-in automatic protection for over-charge, over discharge, over current and over temperature. These are NOT Victron batteries.

From what I understand from the educational document "Wiring Unlimited", I infer that the battery balancer, performs the actual balancing by adding a small resistance to either side (left/right) of the series of batteries, and thereby skew the current in either side:

1606386400657.png

If the Left side shows higher voltage, add minor resistance on Left to increase the current delivered to the Right. And of course vice versa.

Question 1: Is my understanding of the way that a battery balancer works correct?

Despite that lithium batteries, have internal cell balancing, and built-in automatic protection for over-charge, over discharge, over current and over temperature, the theory of battery balancing still applies for Lithium batteries because of the resistance in the circuit of batteries, so battery balancers are NOT overkill.

Question 2: Is it correct that battery balancers remain an essential element in the long term maintenance of the circuit?

Kind regards

Bjorn

Lithium Battery
1606386195352.png (32.3 KiB)
1606386400657.png (28.6 KiB)
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Have you already purchased those batteries?

0 Likes 0 ·
bjorn-madsen avatar image bjorn-madsen klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

No. Why?

0 Likes 0 ·

Why x2?

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ bjorn-madsen commented ·

A few points.

Your proposed batteries are not good value. They can be be wired 4 series x 2 parallel though.

The 2 diagrams you posted are for a good and bad battery connection scenario.

Diagram 2 has no relevance to battery balancers, more to showing how bad parallel battery wiring will lead to battery inbalance/failure.

Dunno much about the Victron battery balancer.

I do know that you can get cell balancers of the shunt type, and active balancers.

Shunt type balancers will burn off excess voltage through transistors/resistors.

Active balancers shuttle power from the highest voltage cells, to the lowest voltage cells.

KISS is the best principle.

3/4 parallel batteries is asking for trouble.

0 Likes 0 ·

Thank you for your opinion.
Diagram 2 is merely for illustration purpose. It does not reflect installation which has 6 batteries (3 parallel connection of 2 batteries).

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
bjorn-madsen avatar image
bjorn-madsen answered ·

Got an answer from victron sales:

> Battery balancers are not required for Lithium as that kind of batteries has their own system.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ·

The best solution is to buy 24volt version of the batteries, this entirely removes the problem your thinking of and simplifies your wiring. - You just have to find somewhere to put it! The only model available at the moment is a 25.6 v 200 ah.

Generally due to the lower internal resistance of lithium battery's balancers aren't used.

1 comment
2 |3000

bjorn-madsen avatar image bjorn-madsen commented ·

Thank you for your opinion, but it doesn't answer my question. Please see Q1 and Q2.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources