question

bezda avatar image
bezda asked

Lithium batteries not charging

Hi, I was charging my victron lithiums today, but after a very short time my multiplus switched to Absorption mode and and then state of charge got reset to 100 %. I would understand that can happen after a while when BMV gets out of sync, but when I disconnect the charger, battery voltage drops to ~ 24V, which is way too low for a 24V lithium batteries. Any suggestions what to check why would the system be behaving like this?

126849871-3846521875382397-5817403845286768705-o.jpg

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
bezda avatar image
bezda answered ·

Turned out to be lose terminal on one of the batteries. Added spring washer to prevent this from happening again. Thanks everyone

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dgnevans avatar image
dgnevans answered ·

Are you using a BMS connected to the Multiplus, have you checked the settings on your multiplus are correct for your model of lithium battery?

1 comment
2 |3000

bezda avatar image bezda commented ·

Yes, I do have a BMS. I've had the same settings on multiplus for a few months now, it's just today that it started behaving so strange

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Fijn avatar image
Rob Fijn answered ·

What kind of lithium batteries are you using? And what king of BMS are your using ?

1 comment
2 |3000

bezda avatar image bezda commented ·

VE.Bus BMS and Victron Smart batteries, 160A

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @bezda

yes something seems off...I'd start with measuring both batteries when at 28V or higher, I'd guess the batteries are not at the same voltage / not properly balanced.

if so: connect them together to 12 volt and charge carefully until balanced (see manual about this)

2 |3000

Trina avatar image
Trina answered ·

Add a star washer too if you can. I use nylon lock nuts on my lifepo4's for keeping just this sort of stuff from happening (in mobile applications esp.)!

2 |3000

Related Resources