question

jeibre avatar image
jeibre asked

Monitoring MPPT Solar Controllers not from Victron

I have 2 MPPT Solar Charge Controllers (BL-SML4860) controlling 2x14 PV-panels. Is it possible to conect them to Venus GX to monitor what they are doing? If possible, how? The Controllers have RS 232 communications ports.

MPPT ControllersVenus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Peter Polz avatar image
Peter Polz answered ·

Short Answer "No, thats not possible".

If you wanna log with Venus you have to replace it with a Victron MPPT

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jeibre avatar image
jeibre answered ·

Does it means that I will not se the PV-production at my VRM-portal? The Controllers are conected directly to a Topband Lithium battery (48V/300ah) via the Multiplus.

2 |3000

espen avatar image
espen answered ·

Not sure what you mean by “connected directly to battery via the multiplus”?

If I found the correct controllers, they’re DC.

So if you have a BMV, you can enable “Has DC system” on the Venus, and in VRM “System Overview – DC System”, to see the production.

(You also need to take into account what other DC devices you have.)

Or, it seems like your chargers support Modbus, so if you have programming skills, you can write your own implementation of the controller.

You can see an example here, where OleS has written a module for the Tristar MPPT:

https://github.com/osaether/dbus-tsmppt

1 comment
2 |3000

Ole Saether avatar image Ole Saether commented ·

Yes I wrote a module for the Morningststar Tristar MPPT but it wil only work on the Tristar MPPT.

In this case I would recommend selling the charge controllers and buy Victron SmartSolar MPPT. They integrate fine with the Venus GX and VRM.

1 Like 1 ·
jeibre avatar image
jeibre answered ·

Both the battery and the power from the controllers are connected to the Multiplus battery-terminals, but no other wired connections are maid. I suppose the controllers have to be wired up to the Venus by e VE.direct cable? Thank you for the link!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic