question

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem asked

Raspberry PI 4 manual update

Until Victron gets PI 4 updates into the feed, is it possible to migrate customizations from one system into a clean install image?

My thought:

Flash a the latest image to a new SD card.

Place that card in the PI and run it so the /data and backup root partitions are created and expanded.

Place the SD card in my Mac running an ext4 utility.

Place the SD card from my existing PI system into my Mac.

Copy whatever files are needed to migrate the old configuration and customizations from the old card to the new card.

Is this possible?

Anyone know what files need to be copied?

All of /data?

Anything else?

firmware updateRaspberry Pi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Goodmorning Kevin,

Yes that should be possible. You can skip the logfiles from /data/log/. And also the vrm database file is not really important (assuming there is no big backlog of data that is pending to be transferred to VRM).

What matters mostly is the settings.conf file. Its contents are transferrable I'd say. Especially onto the same system. There are a few system specific values in there, mostly serial numbers of Fronius Inverters and/or Energy Meters.

Buts thats easy to see for your self.

And in /data/var/lib (or a similar structure) there is some info, which all relates to the ethernet / wifi settings (Google for connman). You can try if it works; and otherwise skip it.

Success!, Matthijs

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.