question

dracekvo avatar image
dracekvo asked

Rapsberry pi 3.5 Inch TFT Display

Hello.

I try install Venus OS on raspberry pi. Working well. But I don't know how to enable 3.5 Inch TFT Display GPIO. Big HDMI monitor work well.
I'm total begginer with linux. I found some discusion on google talk, but i don't understand.

I need some instruction step by step, but I can't find it.

Can anybody help me?

Raspberry Pi
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Luis del Campo avatar image Luis del Campo commented ·

Look: https://www.buentutorial.com/touchscreen-3-5-venus-en-raspberry/

The trick for me was to add the correct dtb file before inserting the SDcard into the Raspberry

0 Likes 0 ·
Matias Käkelä avatar image Matias Käkelä Luis del Campo commented ·

@Luis del Campo which file was the correct one? I've copied usr/tft35a-overlay.dtb to /u-boot/overlay according to instructions in here but now my Pi won't boot anymore. Have you done something different with your working setup compared to steps in that wiki page?

0 Likes 0 ·
Luis del Campo avatar image Luis del Campo Matias Käkelä commented ·

My touchscreen worked fine with this driver: https://mega.nz/folder/HUFQFDwL#fhM7RPrhbMJLsZ7ISLEr0A/folder/uEsgGQgJ It is Kuman 3.5″ oficial driver.

Here https://www.buentutorial.com/touchscreen-3-5-venus-en-raspberry/ all my steps (only in spanish, sorry).

*If You erase display_default_lcd=1 RPi will start again, but it is neccesary for display working

0 Likes 0 ·
Matias Käkelä avatar image Matias Käkelä Luis del Campo commented ·

Thanks. Got it working with your instructions. The ones in wiki are incorrect.

However, there seems not to be any way of dimming the backlight nor turn the display off, so the screen isn't that good for the purpose.

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
John Rushworth avatar image
John Rushworth answered ·

I gave up with the TFT screen. Much easier to use VNC https://www.realvnc.com/en/raspberrypi/

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Hi, have a look at your display manufacturers website for information how to get the display running on your raspberry pi.

They way how you do it, is the same for Raspbian and Venus.

Regards,

Markus

3 comments
2 |3000

lederhos avatar image lederhos commented ·

Hi Markus, I am using a 7” waveshare HDMI display. Have the GUI loading and necessary files updated. I go through the configuration and the touchscreen works fine. When I set headfull and reboot the GUI displays but does not respond or change the menu selection or show that it is working even though both hexdump and the fb buffer print fills as I touch the screen. Thoughts?

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ lederhos commented ·

Hi @Lederhos

can you please make a new question in the mods space for this?

This is a new space here, thought for this kind of questions.

launching-the-mods-space-a-new-section-on-communit.html

I will try to help you, to get this done.

By the way, did you read howto-use-a-hdmi-screen-with-usb-touch-panel-and-u.html?

Regards,

Markus

0 Likes 0 ·
lederhos avatar image lederhos markus ♦♦ commented ·

Markus, I had followed a LOT of iterations of the link you provided, but came up short. Following the instructions in the link you provided brought me the rest of the way home. Thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·
dracekvo avatar image
dracekvo answered ·

I found some instruction like this https://trickiknow.com/raspberry-pi-3-complete-tutorial-2018-lets-get-started/

But there is problem. Comand SUDO not found.
So I stuck :)

7 comments
2 |3000

markus avatar image markus ♦♦ commented ·

There is so much bla bla on this site, I refuse to read. As a guess: you have bought the e.g. Waveshare 3.5 inch SPI display... Then you will have to install a driver (lcdshow) into VenusOS to get this display to work, this is indeed a harder task.

I would suggest to use a HDMI version of this display, as this will just work if you add a line to config.txt.

Regards,

Markus

0 Likes 0 ·
dracekvo avatar image dracekvo markus ♦♦ commented ·

I give up. This is too hard for me.

I will you raspberry without display.

Web application is to enought :)

Thx for your time.

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ dracekvo commented ·

Don't give up that easy ;o)

Just use a HDMI display instead of a SPI (GPIO) display und you are up and running in 1 Minute...

0 Likes 0 ·
John Rushworth avatar image John Rushworth ♦♦ markus ♦♦ commented ·

Personally I don’t find any benefit to have a screen. I just use VNC on my phone or laptop to the Pi. Works for me. The TFT screen I installed was not particularly robust and smaller than my phone screen anyhow.

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ John Rushworth ♦♦ commented ·

Hi John,

CCGX owners might disagree ;o)

It's a very cheap CCGX alternative...

Regards,

Markus

0 Likes 0 ·
John Rushworth avatar image John Rushworth ♦♦ markus ♦♦ commented ·

I am a CCGX owner! It’s simply that the small TFT Pi screen that clips in is so small and my big fingers and eyesight benefit from VNC via my laptop. Makes life much easier. I used it with Venus/SignalK on my boat. Worked great.

0 Likes 0 ·
dracekvo avatar image dracekvo markus ♦♦ commented ·

Maybe in next winter. :)
On regular PC hdmi monitor rapsberry working fine.

0 Likes 0 ·
Dave van Dongen avatar image
Dave van Dongen answered ·

I am not very fluent in Linux, so instead of installing the display driver, I just downloaded a working RPi image from the manufacturer of the touchscreen display. This worked right away. (I just hope there are no backdoors in this image...) And then I installed the Victron software according to the instructions from Victron.

2 |3000