question

karol-kozubal avatar image
karol-kozubal asked

12/12 30A Orion-Tr Isolated Smart in parallel fusing recommendations

I am new to 12V systems and am currently specing out / purchasing components for my 2020 4x4 sprinter conversion power system. I have purchased 2 x 12/12 30A Orion-Tr Isolated smart units since I am looking to obtain 60A charging capabilities. I am building a 12V 400Ah battery system. I see the fusing recommendations are 60A at the starter battery and 60A at the auxiliary battery side, this is however in the case of having a single 12/12 30A Isolated unit.

What would the fusing reccomendation be for two units in parallel? do I fuse / circuit breaker them separately effectively having 4 fuses configured? If not I would appreciate any documentation links or schematics I can refer to. Any input is appreciated!

So far I am using Blue Sea Systems components for Bus Bars, Battery Switches and Circuit Breakers.

Orion DC-DC Converters not smartfusesdc isolators in parralell system
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
octafish avatar image
octafish answered ·

How many amps do you output (rated) from your alternator?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

d-winterburn avatar image
d-winterburn answered ·

I am going to be running 2/0 cable from the engine battery/alternator to a single junction in the back of my van that I will split from and go to each DC to DC charger feeding the battery bank. Since 2/0 cable can handle 200A, that's the rating of DC Blue Sea breaker I'll install at each end of the circuit. My normal rule is to protect the wiring from starting a fire in case of a complete short circuit and not to necessarily protect equipment. My configuration also allows for a 3rd DC to DC charger if needed without upgrading wiring or breaker. Hope this helps somewhat.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron DC-DC converters product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic