question

outsourcedguru avatar image
outsourcedguru asked

Phoenix Inverter into power distribution panel of house

When I bought this inverter I specifically asked if the output was 120VAC-on-black and 0VAC-on-white; they indicated "yes". But of course they lied. Like many inverters it presents 60VAC-on-black and 60VAC-on-white (as measured from the ground plug).

I'm trying to marry the output of the inverter into my new off-grid home's power distribution panel. I also purchased a 2-pole safety switch. So I have the black and white outputs running through each of those poles for the sake of safety before then going to the power distribution panel. That said, I find that if I keep the ground wire connected to the chassid of this panel then the white "half" of the power remains hot even if a circuit breaker is in the OFF position. So by disconnecting the ground output from the inverter at least that doesn't happen, ignoring the safety implications for a moment...

And yet, under any load it trips the 15A circuit breaker. Granted, this is a GCFI-incorporated breaker which is likely my problem at the moment.

Has anyone successfully managed to do what I'm trying to do? Is there a way of converting the 60/60/ground output into the more typical 120/0/ground?

Phoenix Inverteroffgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
outsourcedguru avatar image
outsourcedguru answered ·

UPDATE: There were no configurations which would work successfully with the GCFI-embedded version of HomeLine circuit breakers. They apparently will always trip off when they see the (effective) ground-fault condition which is part of the Phoenix inverter design.

I was successful by replacing the GCFI-based 15A circuit breaker with the standard variety. At the moment I have the Phoenix's ground wire taped off since I feel that this unnecessarily places 60VAC as hot on the white/return line when the circuit breaker is in the OFF position. Granted, this doesn't protect me as well if a wire inside one of the boxes comes loose and hits something else but I see this as a lower-risk incident than an always-live white wire throughout.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.