question

abstracted avatar image
abstracted asked

Fine Strand (1666pc) 4AWG to 150/70 MPPT TR?

The manual is somewhat unclear on this, so thought I'd ask. I've got 1666 strand with 0.127mm strand diameter tinned copper 4WG cable (weave config 7x7x34).

The Manual states a minium amount of strands, but doesn't specify what the maxium strands/the minium strand diameter should be?

Will I be okay to use this wire into the screw terminal?

Ferrules don't appear to be something I could source locally. The main alternative is to source some different cable to go from the terminal to the breaker.

Cheers

MPPT Controllerswiringterminals
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

There isn't really a maximum limit to the number of strands. The more strands, the more flexible the cable.

I prefer not to use ferrules with this rising clamp type of connector. As the terminal is tightened up, the multiple strands will "squish" about and maximise the contact area with the cable.
If the cable being used is at the upper limit of CSA for the terminal, then a ferrule may prevent the cable going in to the terminal at all.

I like to use ferrules on the type of terminal where the screw directly contacts the conductor.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

With those very fine strands, I find it difficult to properly insert all of them in the connector.

using a ferrule with a -square- crimper makes life so much easier...

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron Wiring Unlimited Book