question

fenix avatar image
fenix asked

Victron Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30 cable bus bar

i am looking to add a Victron Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30 to my system but my main cable that come from my alternator is a gauge 2

So my cable is to big to connect it to the DC-Dc....

so does that combinations look ok?

Truck Alternator - breaker 60 amp - truck batterie (AGM) - Gauge 2 25 ft long - breaker 60- Gauge 6 4 ft long - 2 x batteries (Lithium total 200 amp)

orion-tr smartOrion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
rodneyab avatar image
rodneyab answered ·

The Orion-Tr Smart is connected between battery terminals. The on-line manual is straight forward and should be read and re-read until fully understood. Basically the starter battery will be fused and an appropriate gage cable based on distance between battery locations will be used. A terminal post can be used just prior to the Orion-Tr Smart device, in order to step down cable gage to the size to fit the Orion-Tr Smart terminal.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Trina avatar image
Trina answered ·

That super high-amp cable is for your starter motor. I don't think you want to mess with it.

There should be a less heavy gauge wire going to a solenoid that energizes when the key is turned to on to complete a charging circut.

My understanding is you want to tap onto the med gauge wire off that solenoid that is used to charge the rest of the vehicle once the vehicle is running. The Orion (fused) would splice into THAT connection (with a similar med gauge to any 2nd battery)... between the solenoid and the rest of the vehicle after the "high tension" circut.

The wire coming off that solenoid is going to be a 8 or 10 AWG wire usually and you would just cut it and splice the Orion in...if I am correct.

2 |3000