question

valden avatar image
valden asked

Urgent advice please - How to hold heavy lithium batteries down in a yacht

@ a lot of people

Hello all. Thanks for reading this. I need some urgent assistance, with the problem of securing multiple Victron 12.8V 300Ah Smart Lithium Batteries in a yacht. Let me ask my question first and then provide some background.

Is there any reason why these batteries can't be held down with pairs of straps each, or with clamps pulling down on the handles at both ends?

Background.

These batteries are 51kg each. I am involved in a spirited discussion with my boat builder on what is an acceptable method for stopping them from becoming missiles inside the boat. I am insisting that each battery must be restrained individually, with a method that is capable of being tightened over the passage of time. This could use long bolts with nuts and clamps that pull down on the handles, or it could use strong pairs of straps going over the top of each battery. Either way, each of these methods allows for tightening, should the restraint system develop any looseness over time.

At the present moment the delivered solution is that the batteries are sitting in free space in a strong metal box, next to each other but with space all around, and not individually restrained. After my first complaints an attempt has been made to add some spacers, to reduce how far the batteries might move inside the box. There is a plastic lid on the box held with one strap. Inside the box, quite close to the batteries, are the ends of some protruding bolts that hold the battery box together. Yikes! These could easily punch through the sides of the batteries when they move.

I will continue to steer the boat building team towards a system that holds the batteries down individually, firmly and with ventilation space all around. Your best thoughts on my question above in bold, along with suggestions or examples of good restraint systems, would be highly appreciated. Time is short, so early replies will score extra points! :-)

Thank you for your help.

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Valden

Please don't @ mention staff.

You have to follow the manual and that says: Ensure adequate and secure mounting.

how you mount it is up to you, wen in doubt contact your vendor / distributor / sales agent.

normally a ridge on all sides combined with a strap or clamp-down device is adequate.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

valden avatar image valden commented ·

Thank you Daniel. This advice will be helpful to my builder in working out a solution. Much appreciated.

I apologise for @mentioning staff. I wasn't aware, but am now.

Regards.

0 Likes 0 ·
jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ·

@Valden

your problem is not unique!

Some of the best solutions I have seen involve a rectangle around the bottom of the battery to stop it moving around, and then a wide bit of channel say 3 x 1 with a strip of hatch gasket on the face. That's then put across the top each battery (Or the whole bank) with a stud coming up from the floor in-between each battery and at the ends.

If your super clever you can tap the mounts, if they are made of engineering plastic for instance, Heli coil them and use long bolts to secure everything down making it easy to get it all out if you need to.

make sense or do you need a drawing?

3 comments
2 |3000

valden avatar image valden commented ·

That makes sense, thank you. As we speak, I’m drawing a design just like this, to send to my builder. :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
bathnm avatar image bathnm commented ·

I created feet for the batteries to sit on and then a wooden bracket to hold it down. In affect wedging it in place. The dashed arrows are screws holding the top bracket in place.

I also inserted some foam padding between the

1605716131269.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1605716131269.png (244.6 KiB)
valden avatar image valden bathnm commented ·

Thanks for this diagram bathnm. This is very secure hold down. :-)

You have written a line that has lost its ending ... ??

- "I also inserted some foam padding between the ..."

I'll assume this is the 'Packing Piece' on top of the wooden bracket.

Many thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources