question

gerardo-santucci avatar image
gerardo-santucci asked

Blue smart IP65 12V 10A and Lifepo4. Calibration needed?

Hello, I’ve bought a 100Ah 12V lifepo4 battery with a JBD Bluetooth BMS. I used the battery for the first time and I discharged it down to 30Ah. Then, I used a Victron Energy IP65 smart battery 10A charger with factory Lifepo4 settings. the bms shows about 9.91 A of current being charged into the battery during the charging but, after only 4.10 hours the charging cycle is completed. The Victron connect app show that 44Ah were charged and the BMS indicated that the battery is 100% charged (100Ah) which sounds strange to me... if the battery has a capacity of 100Ah and with 30Ah still in it it should have charged 70Ah in about 7hrs. So, either the battery is undersized, or the charger is not properly calibrated for the battery. Is there anybody else having this kind of problems using Blue smart charger with a lifepo4 battery ??? Thanks

battery chargingLithium Batteryip65
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Gerardo Santucci,

usually new batteries including LiFePO4 are not fully charged when new. Did you charge the battery to 100% before you discharged down to 30%?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gerardo-santucci avatar image
gerardo-santucci answered ·

Hi @Stefanie when I received the battery the bms apps showed that it was 100% charged (100Ah). Btw I’m connecting to the bms with two different apps getting the same indications.

2 comments
2 |3000

I would trust the BMS and do another defined discharge and charge and see how it performs then.

The IP65 with it's default lithium setting will charge the battery up to 14.2V and then idling at 13.5V. You should also make sure that these parameters are within the specs of your battery and if different, alter the settings in the IP65 to the specs of your battery. There is nothing to calibrate the IP65.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

A snippet from a forum post.

As far as I know, the JBD BMS only shows instantaneous voltage and amperage readings. Wattage on the smartphone app is calculated on the fly I believe, and anything showing capacity levels or mAh are estimated from the current voltage. There are adjustable parameters for what voltage your cells are at for every 20% of their capacity level to adjust that calculation it gives you.

OP, got a link to your bms?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic