question

simon-forester avatar image
simon-forester asked

Narrow Boat Solar Setup with EasySolar

Hello everyone,

I have had a read through a load of the forum posts here and I am still unable to fully understand so hoping that someone could help me here.

So I'm trying to utilize the solar output as much as possible, but am unable to use the Self Consumption or ESS due to being on a boat. I don't quite understand the reason why though.

I have an EasySolar 24/3000/70 which is connected to a 330AH battery bank. There is a 24/12 Vicrton DC to DC converter which is running the 12 system. I have TV, Fridge etc running off off the 240V. I have up to 909W of solar connected to the MPPT. I also have waiting to be fitted a 24V 80A Sterling Alternator to battery charger waiting to be fitted.

From what I have read, as I am in the UK, I do not require a separate anti-islanding device and can rely on the one in the multiplus. As I do not have any PV Inverters connected on the AC IN, it just connects to the galvanic isolator and then the shore connection.

Ideally i would like to use the Self-Consumption Hub-1 - No Feedback assistant, but obviously due to seeing the warning about not using it in a boat I am worried about doing so.

What I dont understand, is how if I enable this assistant, it would work any different to the way it is working now accept the Multiplus would be the source with the AC IN being used as power assist depending upon the amount of solar. The Multiplus is monitoring the AC in and will switch on if it is there, after the monitoring period and switches off if it is disconnected. I assume the assistant would still do the monitoring so this would be the same.

So is the reason why you cannot use it on a boat due to in most countries needing to use a separate anti-islanding device, which adds in the latency, or is there another reason that I have missed, that in this setup the MultiPlus would not disconnect the AC IN as quickly?

Many thanks for any assistance here.

Simon

EasySolar All-in-OneAssistants
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

steve7a3 avatar image steve7a3 commented ·

I'm commenting simply to give this a bump.

I have an almost identical set-up and the same questions. With shore power connected my solar covers my DC outputs (anywhere between 10 and 50W). On a sunny day, if I disconnect the mains and the inverter kicks in, my PV output jumps to cover all the load (up to around 350W).

I'd prefer not to have to do this manually and allow the system to prioritise the solar over mains. I understand that ESS can do this, but finding a simple explanation of what is required and how to do it seems impossible.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Simon Forester @steve7a3

The reason for ESS not being allowed is more about regulations, it is not supposed to be used in a non permanent connection as far as I know. It needs grid codes to be chosen and set up for it to be legal as well and I guess for some boats who are not always in their home country that is an issue. LOM testing can also mess with generators as well.

You can use virtual switch to connect and disconnect in various load and SOC conditions automatically though to increase self consumption though so manual switching is not necessary.

With all the programmable relays on the GX devices there are so many other options available as well.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/34497/priority-to-solar-on-a-boat-where-ess-is-not-possi.html

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/75002/marine-solution-grid-feedback-en-ess.html

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/18527/ess-mobilemarine-or-not.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIVBpSs2ma0&list=PL3zptmU3iQDAOp3xKInXA-7tFFyGuCylP

ESS and a aerator can also be a bit tricky as well if you have one in your system and you are not using a Quattro.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.