question

fredericmora avatar image
fredericmora asked

BT dongle and Current sense! (for solar controllers)

screenshot-20201110-104727.jpgHi, I have a BMV702 and BT dongle that broadcast Current info to two solar controllers. One is a Smartsolar and the current signal is taken into account in the charging algorithm, no problem here. The second is a BlueSolar with a brand new BT dongle, it seems I can't get the Current signal from BMV. (see pic). Is that normal, is there anything to do to fix this? Thanks

MPPT ControllersBMV Battery MonitorBluetoothinput current
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hi again @Frederic.mora, I have an update on this issue, directly from one of Victron's firmware engineers:

The VE.Smart Networking protocols have been updated (since the last time I read the manual, evidently!) to allow for both a BMV sending unit and a Smart Battery Sense sending unit on the same VE.Smart Network, so my earlier response is incorrect! (I will be deleting that answer momentarily, to prevent causing confusion for anyone else looking for answers to similar problems).

You're fine to leave both on the system as you currently have.

The issue you're seeing here is the result of a lacking FW element in the VE.Direct Bluetooth Dongle - Victron is now aware of this and a fix will be released (in the form of a FW update through VictronConnect) in the near future!

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fredericmora avatar image fredericmora commented ·

Hi Justin, thank you VERY MUCH for the follow up! I will then be waiting for the next updates.

I had tried to remove the Voltage and Temp sense, but I could still not get the Current sense on the BT dongled Blue Solar controller.

Thank you again!

0 Likes 0 ·
fredericmora avatar image
fredericmora answered ·

Hi Justin, I will give a try to remove the Voltage and Temp sense unit, as I think the Solar controller have a built it temp sensor, but that issue (only one sending unit) is a huge flaw that defeats the purpose of the Voltage and Temp sensor. Using the BMV to get the charging current signal to trigger the change between Absorption and float is key.

Thank you again.

2 |3000