question

Trina avatar image
Trina asked

Smart BLUE IP67 120VACa charger shows wrong aH capacity of battery being charged?

Hi

I recently decided to add a Smart BLUE IP76 25a 120VAC charger to my off-grid setup.

I was looking at the history this week and noticed in the Smart BLUE IP67 charger my 210aH GC2 12v battery bank is listed as a 103aH battery! Being that it’s 2x 6v in series and reads correctly as a 12v by the system (and I double checked the connections) it’s not an issue with the series part (unless the series cable has too much resistance; it's a 6AWG I think?), and I checked the physical connection myself of course.

So I have a 25a charger that is only treating the bank it's charging as having half the capacity. Could it be the bank is nearing the end of it's usable life and has too much internal resistance? Or that I regularly only use about 40% (sometimes 50%) of the capacity?

I checked everywhere in the app and didn’t see a setting to change the aH capacity of the bank being charged by the BLUE IP67.

I have NOT networked it to the rest of my system (MPPT’s and BMV712), preferring to keep things as simple as possible.

Q: What's going on here with the incorrect AH reading of the battery it's charging?

charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The Blue Smart IP67 charger only shows you the energy it charged into the battery, there is no "detection" of the connected battery capacity.

If you dis charge you battery to 50% the charger can only charge (and count) that 50% and shows you 105Ah.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Trina avatar image
Trina answered ·

Thank you.

I inadvertenly discovered this when I took the battery down to about 65% drained after posting and noticed on the recharge that the ah capacity had increased to 137ah when I checked as it went into float mode.

Very nice. I am really enjoying the simplicity and function of the Victron line and the support in the forums too.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic