question

avalon avatar image
avalon asked

Cerbo GX to Garmin MFD

I just added the Cerbo GX to my Garmin 8600. It shows up in Onehelm, but the screen is so small. It is connected via RJ45 from the Cerbo GX Ethernet port to my Garmin Network port. Is there a setting I’m missing? It did recognize and add it right away. Any help is appreciated.

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

10 Answers
Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

Hi Avalon,

We completed an installation a couple of weeks ago that had the same sized icons so I figure that may be how it is meant to be.

regards

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Avalon

That screen is also accessible on a pc screen, and there it can be zoomed in. Indeed it appears to be designed for zooming, as the second screen you show will eventually split up, and then has a page selector.

I don't know your monitor though..

2 |3000

stefano-1 avatar image
stefano-1 answered ·

Same issue on my installation with Garmin 8410xsv. I have 2 smartshunt + SmartSolar MPPT 100/20 connected via VeDirect cables.
Everything is showing correctly but all info is using less than half the available space on the 10 inch display.

Is there any way to fix this ?
Thanks

S.

2 |3000

jeff17 avatar image
jeff17 answered ·

Hi, do you find a solution to zoom on your MFD Garmin ?

I have the same Garmin MFD and I would install Cerbo on it but if the screen is so small ....

(sorry for my langage I'm from France)

Best regards

5 comments
2 |3000

stefano-1 avatar image stefano-1 commented ·

No solution right now.

I was hoping someone from the victron would deign to give an answer, but nothing !

Also on very large screen like 8416 same screen size, so I think it's a fixed resolution made for very small LCD.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ stefano-1 commented ·

Surely the Garmin screen is adjustable? Even on a 12yo Win10 lappy I can adjust size, layout, space the type, show italics, etc. A lot of that reverts to default when reloaded, but the size comes back to where I want it every time..

0 Likes 0 ·
jeff17 avatar image jeff17 JohnC ♦ commented ·

I don't purchase it yet, perhaps Stefano-1 try to adjust the screen (if it's possible) ?

0 Likes 0 ·
stefano-1 avatar image stefano-1 jeff17 commented ·

I did not find any possible settings to adjust resolution.

0 Likes 0 ·
stefano-1 avatar image stefano-1 JohnC ♦ commented ·

What do you mean ? It's a Garmin problem in your opinion ?

My Garmin MFD's are showing lots of different data from different hardware but all are stretched to fit window size (sometimes with pixelized definition) ... I think your GX device can be upgrade to set output resolution to fit screen. It would be a very useful upgrade.

0 Likes 0 ·
kris avatar image
kris answered ·

I also have a small image on the plotter screen on Garmin 8412 and Furuno TZT 3 12 "

2 |3000

rlynch03 avatar image
rlynch03 answered ·

We have two Garmin 8616 and the screen size is very small as mentioned above. I cannot figure out how to increase the screen size

1 comment
2 |3000

Unfortunately Victron is currently ignoring this. It seems they are not interested in this discussion and just want the screen fits the small Victron GX Touch Screen
1 Like 1 ·
ludo avatar image
ludo answered ·

The info for setting the software to different resolutions can be found here in the raspberry section

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi Ludo,

could you please provide a link or more info about this section ?
Could not find any info searching with CERBO RASPBERRY keyword

0 Likes 0 ·
pieter-vroman avatar image
pieter-vroman answered ·

Same here. Just installed 2 smartshunts together with a GX and this is the result on a Garmin 8412xsv and 8416xsv.

Did anyone find any solution for this?img20230226201521-1.jpg

2 |3000

stefano-1 avatar image
stefano-1 answered ·

I finally solve the problem by disconnecting the network cable from Garmin network (which free one more port for other use and fix also some problem while upgrading Garmin firmware to all devices in my boat), and connect the CERBO GX using HDMI and USB cable to the "VIDEO INPUT and USB" on Garmin MFD.

By switching to the MULTIMEDIA feature on MFD (video) you will see the CERBO GX info in full screen on the GARMIN and be able to interact via touch if you enable the USB on the video input in settings.

This is the 2 cable used for my 84xx series MFD

010-12390-20 Garmin Cable HDMI (GPSMAP® 8400/8600)
010-12390-10 Garmin Cable USB (GPSMAP® 8400/8600)

2 |3000

octafish avatar image
octafish answered ·

Same issue on my Simrad NSS9 EVO3S. I have another post from earlier this year.

Bump to Victron to supply an elegant solution, please!

1 comment
2 |3000

svunity avatar image svunity commented ·

Yes, same with my 8610xsv I would like to think it would be as simple as making the page dynamic vs static. I have to guess they have the html set to a predefined size to work with the touch50/70 but that's just a guess. Either way it is frustrating.

stefano-1 has a good workaround but we should not need to sacrifice the HDMI input. I am a big proponent of Victron products and I have come to expect better from them.

I have a Touch 50 in the salon so for me the HDMI route is not practical.

0 Likes 0 ·