question

aeneby avatar image
aeneby asked

Has anyone tried using VEFlash via Wine?

I don't have a Windows laptop currently, and would like to keep it that way, so I have been running VEConfigure via Wine on Linux which seems to work perfectly well. I would like to be able to do the same with VEFlash, but I know the consequences of something going wrong there are potentially significant. I'm quite familiar with embedded Linux, and am used to flashing things via serial or JTAG from the command line, so if there is a way to achieve this for Victron products too I'd love to hear it.

Otherwise, has anyone here tried flashing a Victron device using VEFlash on Wine?

veflash
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I'm also primarily a Linux user. I use Windows at work because they pay me to do so.
I'm too afraid to try VE.Flash via a Windows VM let alone an emulator.
I have a 32bit XP laptop which I use for such occasions, good old fashined bare metal hardware and a trusty old operating system.

Microchip are quite good in that their development software is multiplatform. I have PIC programmers to my avail, but I don't think Victron would give us access to the .hex files in order to flash firmware in that manner. Their raw firmware should be closely guarded in this day and age.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ben avatar image
ben answered ·

I've used it in a VM (VirtualBox). It worked fine.

2 |3000

markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Hi aeneby,

I use a Windows based Parallels VM on a MAC for this, with absolutely no problems.

When you got VEConfigure to work, VEFlash should also work.

I think you will have to try it out, to find out. :o)

If you decide to life without Windows, you have to be brave now and then... ;o)

Regards,

Markus

1 comment
2 |3000

aeneby avatar image aeneby commented ·

To scared to try it, unless Victron can provide an officially supported method of doing so without the Windows app... I think I'll just have to borrow a laptop for these sorts of things :)

0 Likes 0 ·
optingoutofnormal avatar image
optingoutofnormal answered ·

Follow these direction on my video description here: https://youtu.be/twLjlpeibdA

Justin

2 |3000

mje avatar image
mje answered ·

I was wondering if there was a native Linux software solution to the problem. Even some partially compiled code that just needs to be linked - or better still - some (linux) Open Source software?

1 comment
2 |3000

aeneby avatar image aeneby commented ·

I don't think so, at least I haven't been able to find anything.

0 Likes 0 ·
phooge avatar image
phooge answered ·

So for me wine did not successfully deal with port access. However Parallels did with VE.Configure. However after successfully setting values with Parellels and ve.configure as many have, I tried VE.Flash with Parallels which has blown up on me. Don’t know if it’s VE.Flash, my old unit, or Parallels but I’m trying to get help right now fixing up my now mangled firmware.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic