question

m-h avatar image
m-h asked

Ip67 charger clicking on and off

Hi i just installed the ip67 charger 12v/7amp in my vehicle.

When the unit is in bulk or absorbtion modes, it does not keep the voltage or current steady, the unit audibly clicks on and off every 10 seconds or so and the current goes from 0 to 7 amps.

Charging 135ah agm battery. No load at the time.

charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I would suspect that its turning off from overload or over temp as its a 7 amp charger max , you are hitting its max limits and thus I suspect its turning off from overload or over temp. for a period and then back on to protect its self.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

m-h avatar image m-h commented ·

It doesnt shut down, it just clicks and drops/maxes out.

Surely it cant be overloading? Whats the point of it i it cant handle an average battery?

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B m-h commented ·

its a 7 amp charger it maybe as a example going over 7 amps and thus shutting down from overload , I am just giving you a pointer as to what to look for and or check. it will continue to turn off and on until the amps drop back or the temperature drops. Note its also rated at 7 amps at 25 deg C if the ambient temperature is higher then the rated output is less

0 Likes 0 ·
m-h avatar image m-h Paul B commented ·

Hi paul, if its 7 amp then it should provide 7 amp.. why would it try to supply more

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

I don't know the answer, so we must start with

Troubleshooting

The first, easiest and most likely thing to check is the voltages at all relevant points.

Using a multimeter,

with EVERYTHING turned off, measure the voltage at the battery, and the terminal connections of the charger. Make sure there is no damage, and a good solid connection.

Then turn everything on, and repeat.

What are the voltages? Is there any unexpected variations, or are the voltages relatively close across the whole system?

Do those measured voltages match the voltages that are displayed in VictronConnect?

How is the charger wired up into the system, can you sketch a wiring diagram?

What are the LED's doing?

Are there any strange smells?

Is the unit warm to the touch at all?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic