question

bulraydin avatar image
bulraydin asked

From three phase to single phase conversion

victron_3phase_to_single.pdf

In our country most of the houses have three phase grid connected. However in most of these houses almost all loads are single phase. However these loads are never distributed evenly on the phases.

In some areas away from city center following grid failures happen quite often :

1. Overvoltage

2. Phase rotation

3. Just One of the phases cuts out

In order to protect the house from such failures and use the loads evenly on the phases, I would like to convert the house into single phase and supply over battery, solar and grid . So my question :

1. Can I connect to each Multiplus one phase, and program these 3 x Multiplus parallel to output single phase ?

2. If yes , then can I connect a three phase on-grid inverter on the input site of these 3x Multiplus and with an energy meter control the self-consumption ?

attached the functional diagram :

Many thanks for your answer

3 phase
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

As the Multi forwards the incoming AC 1:1 on its output (passtrough) the setup cannot be 3p ACin and a 1p parallel single phase out. There are transformers which can do this however.

It is possible however to have a 3p Multi system which does create 3p on ACout (or 3 x single phase in your example) even when 1 or more phases are failing. The setting [switch as group] can be deselected in Ve Bus System configurator programm which means that if there is an incoming phase (L1 in mandotory) this Multi will go into passthrough mode whilst the other phases remain in inverter mode. the charger of L1 will then supply energy to be used for the units which are in inverter mode. of course this power for L2 /L3 is limited to what the charger can feed in, but there is at least for a period of time power on all phases.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bulraydin avatar image
bulraydin answered ·

Hi Johannes , many thanks for your input. Would you know any transformers that can do this ?

1 comment
2 |3000

Rob Fijn avatar image Rob Fijn commented ·

The Victron's Multi's and Quatro's can do this.
Regards, Rob

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

If your house is 1 phase only, you can power your house from battery and big enough Victron and use grid only to charge the battery.

You can have one charger per phase so if one phase is missing the other two will continue charging.

2 |3000

mmh avatar image
mmh answered ·

@buraydin, i face a similar situation, often one phase creates problems and we have no three phase loads, did you get this working?

Setup = 6 quattros, now in 3 phase config. PV fronius inverters on AC output.

Thanks

2 |3000