question

Mark Hansen avatar image
Mark Hansen asked

Orion Tr Smart 12/12 30 amp versus 18 amp For Litium Charging from Alternator

I am going to add 4 Lion Energy Safari 1300 105ah Lithium batteries to my 2006 motor home. I need to protect the alternator from excessively trying to charge the batteries while driving.

What is the difference between the 30 amp 360watt and the 18 amp 220watt isolated chargers?

Solar will also be added later but would the 18 amp 220 watt work in this case?

charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The obvious and only difference is the max current.

With the 30A model the charging is faster.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ·

Really, what you need to ascertain is how much load you already have on your alternator from radio lights that sort of thing. Then have a look at your alts output, abs see what you can get away with on top of that.

2 |3000

ronhanson01 avatar image
ronhanson01 answered ·

Sad thing is, there is no current limit so the 18a can charge near 30a also

2 |3000

cybermaus avatar image
cybermaus answered ·

Sorry @ronhanson01 to dig up this old topic, but are you telling me if I get the Orion-tr smart 12/12-18 it may still charge 30 ampere. I know it has no ampere setting, but surely it is limited to its max?

2 |3000

ronhanson01 avatar image
ronhanson01 answered ·
1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
There are a couple of things to take into account.

While it's able to temporarily output more than 18A, it's very short duration.

Also high current use will cause the unit to derate to prevent overheating.

I believe there were some changes made to prevent units running over rating due to complaints about overheating. I'd be very surprised if you do get a sustained output over 18A.

0 Likes 0 ·
cybermaus avatar image
cybermaus answered ·

Well @kevgermany , "I believe there were some changes made" is a bit vague if I am about to spend money on it. It would be good if someone from Victron would chime in, or at least some other users who knows for sure.

Because from the post he made 4 years ago, it seems @ronhanson01 did have sustained overcurrent, and I would assume he kept up to date with firmware (it being a smart device), and would tell us above if it had disappeared.

You may argue it may have been hardware changes, but it seems we jointly believe even the 2020 models already could derate, be it on temp.

4 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Don't be disappointed when you don't get more than 18A.
0 Likes 0 ·
cybermaus avatar image cybermaus kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
I don't want more then 18A. It would worry me as it may mean it cooks my FLA as well as get way too hot.
0 Likes 0 ·
ronhanson01 avatar image ronhanson01 cybermaus commented ·
firmware is consistently updated. It needs a hardware change. And it will keep gonig until it suck my outboard starter battery to zero if you dont have the voltage cutoffs set. which mostly works. The downside is the large breaker and beefy cables you need to be prepared with.
0 Likes 0 ·
cybermaus avatar image cybermaus ronhanson01 commented ·

Should there not be an engine-running-detect in the device? Or a wire linked to your generator D+?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic