question

glennyg avatar image
glennyg asked

Lifep04 settings with 123/Smart BMS

Desperate HELP PLEASE! My van is currently being rented out by a client, and their electrics have gone down. I've recently been having issues with it not working properly i.e BMS saying batteries at 16% full and controller in Float, suggesting they're full. I'm sure it's as simple as a settings issue, I just need to know what settings to use!

Here is my setup:

Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT Charge Controller 150V/45A-Tr

3 x 200w Solar panels:

Specifications:

• Peak power: 200W
  • Maximum power voltage: 38.80V
  • Maximum power current: 5.15A
  • Open circuit voltage: 45.00V
  • Short circuit current: 5.80A
  • Power tolerance: 0/+3%

Batteries: Wonston LiFeYPO4 (3.2V/300Ah) x 4 cells.

https://shop.gwl.eu/Winston-40Ah-200Ah/WB-LYP300AHA-LiFeYPO4-3-2V-300Ah.html

BMS:

BMS123SM-SET BMS123 Smart - Complete Set (4 cells) with Bluetooth 4.0

I need to know the following settings, as i think mine are not correct:

I was told, to disable the Equalisation Voltage, that i have to set it to 1. But I can only change it to a min of 9. I need to know what i should set all the other settings to, to get best performance. I have no idea why it's not working, but it's not :(

For example, this was on a beautiful, sunny day, and I was getting nothing from the solar, as it seems it assumed the batteries were full:

PLEASE! ANY ADVICE IS MOST WELCOME!!!

Many, many thanks!!!

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
glennyg avatar image
glennyg answered ·

Here are the settings on my BMS

7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Edit,,,,,,,,,

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Try these settings for the Smartsolar.

EDIT<> Battery capacity.. 300 x 3.30 x 4 = 3.960 kWh

0 Likes 0 ·
glennyg avatar image glennyg klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Thanks so much for quick reply! So my BMS setting was wrong all along? The battery capacity is 3.96 and not 3.2!!??? So i need to change this on the BMS? Forgive me, I'm terrible at electrics :D

OK so change absorption V to 14 and Float to 13.4?

What about the absorption settings and Re-bulk voltage offset setting you have, should i replicate them too?

Do you know how to disable the equalisation Voltage? Mine is refusing to disable! I was told to set it to 0, but mine won't go less than 9.

Thanks a million!

G

0 Likes 0 ·
glennyg avatar image glennyg glennyg commented ·

The battery website states:

"4 cells, 12V
Total capacity 3,6 kWh

Recommended initial and subsequent charging is to 3.65 V.
The minimum voltage is 2.5 V.

"

So you think i should still set capacity to 3.96? (300 x 3.30 x 4 = 3.960 kWh)

Where are you getting the 3.30 bit? Should this not be 3.20? As there are 4 cells, each cell is 3.2V/300Ah.

Thanks again!

G

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ glennyg commented ·

Trust what is printed on the top of the cell. I am not familiar with your BMS, so cant say what difference that figure would make.

Start of with a LiFePo4 "preset". Then adjust the absorb and float voltages. Set your absorb time. I've left the tail current disabled.

Re bulk. I have set as 0.2v just so it takes a slightly larger load to go from float to re-bulk.

Equalization settings. I've set nothing-(still LiFePo4 stock settings).

Temp compensation disabled- Charge disabled below 5c -(still LiFePo4 stock settings).

0 Likes 0 ·
glennyg avatar image glennyg klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

thanks! Unfortunately I'm not in front of my batteries, and won't be for a while. Assuming the figures i gave you from the website are correct, what would you say the correct capacity is then? Sorry to be a pain!

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ glennyg commented ·

Definitely 3.3v @ 300AH = 990Wh.

0 Likes 0 ·
20201006-171516.jpg (363.8 KiB)

Related Resources