question

stef81 avatar image
stef81 asked

Any risk of upgrading a CCGX never updated for 5+ years ?

Hi, I bought a houseboat with a Victron setup installed in 2015.

Among others, the CCGX has never been updated nor upgraded. It is not connected to internet. It still runs a firmware V1.14 of 2014. Is there any risk involved in upgrading the CCGX to the newest firmware ?

My plan is

1. Upgrade the CCGX to V2 following the description here : https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:firmware_upgrade_to_v2
  2. Connect the CCGX to Inernet (which is currently not the case) and let it auto-update to the V2.xx current version

The link above tells how to upgrade from V1.74 to V2; my CCGX is V1.14. Any risks involved ?

Thanks !

CCGX Color Controlfirmware update
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @SteF81,

There is always a risk in touching something that is already working.

The strong advice from Victron when it comes to firmware updating:

• During commissioning / first install;
  • When trouble shooting;
  • To add a new feature that is required by the installation.

We can rule out commissioning, so that leaves us with:

Are you having troubles that might be solved with a firmware update?

Does the system require a new feature that is offered in a firmware update?

If the answer to both of those is no, then you should not take the risk.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

stef81 avatar image stef81 commented ·

Hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager),

Thanks for the detailed answer. I would like to benefit from features which appeared after 2014 like MQTT integration (I wish to automatize some load shedding by processing real-time data of the off-grid system and controlling smart plugs) and the remote console on LAN.

About risks, my question was more about getting knowledge of any known issues in upgrading from V1.14 to V2 and if I would need instead to first update from V1.14 to V1.74 and then in a second step upgrade from V1.74 to V2.

Best regards,

SteF

0 Likes 0 ·

I would do it in two parts, first to v1.74, then following the Upgrading to v2 instructions. That step has been done 1000's of times, so no reason to vary it.

I would add one thing, have the firmware update on both microSD card AND a small capacity USB thumb drive. Only have one in at one time, but if there is an issue reading from the microSD port, it's good to have another option ready.

Then make sure you watch the video, and follow every step methodically.

There are no known issues as such, but there are potential issues that could present themselves from the update, such as new errors and alarm warnings for issues that might already be existing in the unit, but silently. Hopefully all goes smoothly!

0 Likes 0 ·
stef81 avatar image stef81 Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Il will do it like you suggest : V1.14 -> V1.74 -> V2 and then let it auto-update to the very latest V2.xx.

I'll begin with downloading and flushin the logs as there is a backlog of more than 70 MB of data, moreover the unit thinks we are in 2016.

I'll do that in the following days and keep you updated.

0 Likes 0 ·