question

rotortalk avatar image
rotortalk asked

Stacked Quattro / Split Phase with SINGLE phase 240v input

I've search the forums and I have found similar question, but nothing specifically what I am trying to do.

I currently have a boat with 2x Quattro 5000/24/120V being supplied by a (very heavy) transformer which takes the Single Phase European 240v, stepping down to the required 120v for the Victrons.

I really want to convert the whole boat to native 240v. Most of the big ticket items I can rewire, but apparently my expensive quattros are stuck at 120v. I then had the idea to re-wire/re-program them to 120v split phase to give me the 240v and a dealer very helpfully sent me a diagram to confirm this was possible. However, the diagram shows the 240v input as split phase with the neutral returning to dockside as well as being linked in the Quattros.

My question is: Can I supply Quattros set up in split phase with a single phase and simply join the split phase neutrals at the quattros?

PS. Motivation for doing this is to get rid of the heavy transformer and use 240v appliances as I am based in Europe.

split phase
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @rotortalk

you'll need an autotransformer on the input to create the Neutral

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Bruce Fergusson avatar image Bruce Fergusson commented ·

Question - if only 240v input and output, which means no chance for current imbalance between Quattros, why is auto transformer required? If needed for the voltage reference for programming purpose, then perhaps a lighter A/T may do To help with weight. Of course, if 120v distribution is desired, then definitely need both appropriately-sized A/T‘s. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
rotortalk avatar image
rotortalk answered ·

Oh bummer, I was hoping to avoid this. I will need one on the input and one on the output then to make this work.

Many thanks for the clarification.

2 |3000