question

kev avatar image
kev asked

FLA charge profile

Is it possible to terminate the Absoption period using a tail current threshold. I.e 1% of 20h C rating and if so, how? I have a Colour GX, BMV and Quattro. I’m off grid and use solar to charge the batteries (FLA). If I bought a smart MPPT charge controller, would that help?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @kev

I don't know of any means of doing that with the Quattro's charger, but it's certainly possible with either a Smartsolar or Bluesolar mppt.

If you invoke DVCC in the CCGX, the mppt will use the current from the BMV as a source for the mppt's Tail to work from. (ie your '1%'). That way all dc or ac loads are eliminated from consideration, so it's just dealing with the battery charge. As it should.

If you already have a Bluesolar, VictronConnect can access it's settings via the CCGX ethernet or an added wifi dongle.

I find a 2% Tail suited to my own fla's, and by then SOC is ~99% anyway. With my batts always under some load at sunup, the mppt Adaptive algorithm gets a little 'lost', and may decide on too long an Absorb time.

I highly recommend, but come back if you need more detail.

And oh, the mppt Rebulk function is now a pleasure to watch it doing it's thing... Victron magic..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kev avatar image
kev answered ·

Hi John,

thanks for the response, it was what I was hoping for. I’ve looked at the DVCC documentation but didn’t see anything about this. I shall look at getting a Victron smart solar charger.

kev.

correction!. Just read about tail current in the SCS section.

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

@kev Yeh, Victron technical documentation isn't like sales brochures, and DVCC is 'just' a bit of code, a side-benefit that doesn't make headlines, but rises when you need it. It's good stuff..

A little unlike bluetooth (the 'Smart' kit), which makes the brochures, but I can't use with a GX doing the equivalent.

It's about choice, and the end result you want.

0 Likes 0 ·