question

ant13 avatar image
ant13 asked

12V batteries (110Ah and 220Ah) in parallel using MPPT 75 / 15

Batteries have different capacity; is it advise to connect them in parallel? or should I use an Argo FET battery isolator?

battery
capture1.jpg (84.1 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

drobbly avatar image drobbly commented ·

I'm after the same advice I've just got a new motorhome and want to change the current controller to my victron and charge two batteries the Leisure battery and the starter battery. It currently has a change over switch from one to the other or off.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
offgridsolutions avatar image
offgridsolutions answered ·

Ant13, you could run two batteries of different sizes, but care should be taken as you could find that the smaller older battery could be held at a to higher voltage for to long and damage the battery, so I would not recommend it, also not all 12v batteries have the same charge characteristics.

Drobbly, i definitely would not do this where a starter battery is combined or you would find your self with a flat starter battery, use a battery charge combiner for this situation

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic