question

tim-cooper avatar image
tim-cooper asked

BlueSolar MPPT 75/15 Solar Controller > 15AH Lifepo4

Hi All,

If I connected my 100W solar blanket up to this controller, set the profile for Lithium battery, would the output of the MPPT supply only up to max of battery Max Charge Current? i,e, will 15A be supplied to the battery even if it can only accept max 5A? will I ruin the battery? specs of battery are below.

SolarKing Lithium batteries are fully sealed with a built in battery management system (BMS) to make sure the battery operates safely.

• Operating Temperature Range: -20°C ~ +60°C
  • Voltage: 12.8VDC
  • Amperage: 15AH
  • Max Discharge Rates: 10A
  • Max Continuous Current: 10A
  • Max 10 Second Pulse: 15A
  • Min Charge Current: 1A
  • Nominal Charge Current: 3A
  • Max Charge Current 5A
  • Charge Voltage 14.8V
  • Maximum Charge Voltage 15.0V
  • Cycles @ 100% DOD 2000 Cycles
  • Cycles@ 80% DOD 3000 Cycles
  • Cycles@ 50% DOD 3500 Cycles
  • Cycles@ 30% DOD 8000 Cycles
  • Low Voltage cut out: 10.0VD
  • Terminal T6.5mm

MPPT ControllersLithium Batteryamps
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
michelg avatar image
michelg answered ·

Hi Tim,

a 100W panel will provide a maximum of around 5,9A. According to the fact that it almost NEVER reach a 100% power production, and furthermore the ampers are reduced during the charge, I don't see any real problem here.

Take a look at the specs of your solar panel.

Michel

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tim-cooper avatar image tim-cooper commented ·

100W max @ 17.5V, so yeah would be unlikely to get it much over 5A, but regardless, would the battery just accept what it needs? or would going over 5 ruin it?

I will do as Matthias mentioned and adjust current, but would be good to know anyway

0 Likes 0 ·
michelg avatar image michelg tim-cooper commented ·

Hi Tim, you have performance losses, during the transformation of the power coming from the solar panel, also consider you almost never get a 100% power from the solar panel itself. Specs are laboratory values with very precise conditions.

I would not worry about it.

Michel

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

You can also adjust the charging current of the MPPT in the battery settings.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic