question

marcus-cp avatar image

Can I connect my MPPT Load Out to 12 DC 600w water heater element?

Hi Victron Community,

I want to convert my AC water heater to DC.

Can I connect my 12VDC 600 water heater element to the Load Out on my MPPT Solar Controller to run only when my batteries are full?

Here is my setup:

2 x 375w panels connected to a Victron MPPT SMART 150/60

2 x 175w panels connect to a Victron MPPT SMART 100/30

This is going into my LifePo4 bank 4 x 120ah.

Whats are your thought on programming the two MPPT Load Outputs to act like a dump loads from excess energy created my when batteries are full?

I can put two elements into my tank so have two separate heating elements with thermostats.

MPPT Controllerssolar
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

I'd love to know an update on this... I have a 100/20 smart controller and would really want to set up a 'dump load' for when my 48V battery array is fully topped off to send all excess solar energy through that 'load' port to direct water heaters. I use a 48V inverter hooked directly to the batteries so the load port is basically unused in my setup and 800+ watts could be going directly to heating water most days if I'm not actively using the system... Please share notes if you have any!

As the datasheet says the load output is only rated for 1A @ 48V so you can only use it to activate a bigger relay.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The 100/30 don't have any load output and the 150/60 only have a relay with max 4A@12V. But you can use that relay to switch a larger relay or a remote contact of the heater.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.