question

marcus-cp avatar image
marcus-cp asked

Can I connect my MPPT Load Out to 12 DC 600w water heater element?

Hi Victron Community,

I want to convert my AC water heater to DC.

Can I connect my 12VDC 600 water heater element to the Load Out on my MPPT Solar Controller to run only when my batteries are full?

Here is my setup:

2 x 375w panels connected to a Victron MPPT SMART 150/60

2 x 175w panels connect to a Victron MPPT SMART 100/30

This is going into my LifePo4 bank 4 x 120ah.

Whats are your thought on programming the two MPPT Load Outputs to act like a dump loads from excess energy created my when batteries are full?

I can put two elements into my tank so have two separate heating elements with thermostats.

MPPT Controllerssolar
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seandembrosky avatar image seandembrosky commented ·

I'd love to know an update on this... I have a 100/20 smart controller and would really want to set up a 'dump load' for when my 48V battery array is fully topped off to send all excess solar energy through that 'load' port to direct water heaters. I use a 48V inverter hooked directly to the batteries so the load port is basically unused in my setup and 800+ watts could be going directly to heating water most days if I'm not actively using the system... Please share notes if you have any!

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ seandembrosky commented ·

As the datasheet says the load output is only rated for 1A @ 48V so you can only use it to activate a bigger relay.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The 100/30 don't have any load output and the 150/60 only have a relay with max 4A@12V. But you can use that relay to switch a larger relay or a remote contact of the heater.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic