question

Paul B avatar image
Paul B asked

Battery Protect 12/24 220A

I have installed a Battery Protect unit between my battery bank and the inverter charger positive lead.

Its been Programed to C mode which is lithium mode

The problem I have is that when the Inverter charger is charging the batteries at 95Amps on a 24 volt bank. and the remote activation is then opened by removing the two pin plug then the Battery protect, Does not turn off. as per the below picture.

The BMV 712 shows the amps and the program mode has been activated to show the mode

and the green two pin plug has been removed to show that the remote pin is low.

anyone have a idea as to why this would occur

Battery Protect
1548478781227.png (343.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
nightcrawler avatar image
nightcrawler answered ·

I asked a similar question recently and the response is that the Battery Protect only cuts current flow in one direction - discharging. Charging is not affected by the Battery Protect.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/4545/victron-battery-protect-charging.html

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Peter Polz avatar image
Peter Polz answered ·

Please check your wiring and compare with manuals of BMV and BatterProtect. As i can see on your small pic there is a direct connection between Batterieprotect "battery" and Bmv Shunt load/charge. Thats definitly wrong.. Bmv => should be minus .. Battery protect switch plus

2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

the wiring is correct. there is a negative wire going to the shunts battery connection, as this is the neg feed to the battery.

2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

By the way thanks for the reply

1, there is no connection remote connection pin as I have removed that for clarity (ie no BMS or switch issue.

2. the centre pin on the three pin connector is the negative input to the battery protect

3. input comes from the battery positive

4. output goes to the inverter charger.

Under its current configuration it should have turned OFF

4 comments
2 |3000

Peter Polz avatar image Peter Polz commented ·

Same behaviour with Mode 2?

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B Peter Polz commented ·

I have not tried the other modes

0 Likes 0 ·
Peter Polz avatar image Peter Polz Paul B commented ·

So lets give a try because you have to exclude other errors

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B Peter Polz commented ·

Its being used as a BMS relay to turn the battery off if a fault occurs, so if the BMS has a low or high cell voltage then I am wanting the Battery Protect to turn off.

so a off command by opening the remote connection on the BP should always turn the BP off. (no matter if there is a power draw or a power charge.

or have I missed something.

0 Likes 0 ·