question

nightcrawler avatar image
nightcrawler asked

Victron Battery Protect Charging

Does the Battery Protect when used in Lion mode with the remote terminal completely disconnect the battery? Or does it just prevent further discharging while still allowing charging.

I'd like to use it like a failsafe to prevent over-discharging and over-charging with a custom BMS. If it still allows charging current then I couldn't prevent overcharging via a remote signal to the battery protect.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

The Battery Protect will stop the current for 100% but only in one direction! , so therefore this cannot be used for both charge and discharge protection at the same time. for that you would need two, one for the source/charge current and another one in line with the lads

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boris avatar image boris commented ·

Hi, do you have schematics for a set up?

0 Likes 0 ·
boris avatar image boris commented ·

What is the best way for overcharge protection from victron?

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ boris commented ·

@Boris
Best to ask in a separate question, and please specify the system otherwise answering is guessing.

0 Likes 0 ·
ben avatar image
ben answered ·

In addition to Johannes' point about one direction, the BP also cannot handle much surge current, especially compared to a regular contactor. You should take measures to ensure that you never over-current your BPs if you decide to use them as part of a homemade BMS.

2 |3000

djingis avatar image
djingis answered ·

Never figured out how to use the BP with a Multiplus...

Almost all my equipment is Victron but for disconnect relay I used an other brand than Victron. As one additional safety feature I actually used the relay of the BMV-712 with the other brands product do disconnect at over voltage.

If you want the intelligence in your custom BMS to do its magic do you also need the intelligence of the BP or could you just use a relay?

Think you could probably do the same with your custom BMS that I have done with the BMV.

Made a video after connecting the relay in the BMV for the nice people that recommended me to do this in a facebook group.
https://youtu.be/c41ONtokIrA

2 |3000