question

markus avatar image
markus asked

UPS Driver / OS shutdown (Feature Request)

Hi,

I just got a new Multi 500VA unit :o) and tested its UPS capabilities, regarding IT equipment.

This works just great and I am wondering, why there is no UPS driver for Windows available for the Multi, reporting the SOC to Windows for triggering OS shutdown.

Did I just miss it? Or has anyone a workaround solution for OS shutdown?

A cool solution would be, to implement a network shutdown feature to Venus, sending shutdown commands over LAN depending on SOC. (and Wake On LAN)

This would be a cool thing to have in my opinion. @mvader (Victron Energy Staff)

Regards,

Markus

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerups
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

My idea on it is that UPSes are mostly used for servers; not desktops; and for servers people need to get a real UPS. Not use (only) a Victron. Our devices are no real UPSes.

Whats often done is extending the autonomy of a real UPS by putting a Victron in front of it; in series.

So; not enough demand to warrant the software work (and support thereafter).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

markus avatar image
markus answered ·

:o) yes. But your devices are acting too good in reality, for just being no (real) UPS ;o)

I sold too many UPS solutions for desktops as an IT to say this is not a market...

I hope you are not angry to me, suggesting stuff and being bothersome, but the worst thing that can happen in my opinion is, that one day you say: Hey, Markus this is a good one ;o)

Best Regards,

Markus

2 comments
2 |3000

I can speak from some personal observation here, unfortunately Matthijs has to say No, even to good ideas, every day. It is not something personal nor anyone getting upset. Just necessary to keep the focus of the company.

There are a few ways forward.

You can do it yourself, often the Victron tools are available publicly already, or sometimes by request if you have a good reason.

Or you continue to think and share the good ideas, and one day the timing and everything is right and it happens! Success!

1 Like 1 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

I’m not angry at all; don’t worry!

0 Likes 0 ·