question

demosthien avatar image
demosthien asked

Phoenix Smart IP43 Charger and failure of the charge bus in a dual DC bus system.

I've got a Phoenix Smart IP43 Charger that I'm incorporating into a LiFePO4 24V system in a motorhome. The Phoenix will not be turned on permanently (only when shore power or generator is required). There is also solar charging (this is the primary charging source) occurring on the charging bus via an Electrodacus DSSR20. Both the Phoenix and the DSSR20 are remote controlled by the Electrodacus SBMS0 for overcharge situations.

I'm still doing the planning side of things and have been reading http://nordkyndesign.com/.

I have been following the outline for the dual DC bus system and was just reading through the section outlining a high-voltage event causing a charge bus disconnection.

In the article he says when some charging devices are disconnected under load there is potential for generating a voltage spike and subsequently damaging/destroying them.

The examples he gives are of ;PWM & MPPT charge controllers, wind generators, and alternators.

http://nordkyndesign.com/electrical-design-for-a-marine-lithium-battery-bank/

I was wondering if such a charge bus disconnection, say via a fuse break or a manual switch, would have an impact (like the device destroying voltage spike mentioned) on the Phoenix if it were activated at the time.

Also, would the outcome for the Phoenix differ depending if the DSSR20s (and solar modules) were connected at the time or not?

Thank you!

Lithium Batterychargerdc system
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
demosthien avatar image
demosthien answered ·

Bump... Does anyone have an answer for me at all?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic