question

vanman avatar image
vanman asked

Initial Smart Shunt & MPPT Settings for Victron Lithium batteries

I am in the process of setting up and going through an initial charge of my system

• 200Ah Victron Smart Lithium
  • 500A Smart Shunt instead of BMV-712
  • 100 |30 Smart Solar MPPT w 335w LG Solar Panel
  • 12|2000|80-50 Compact Multiplus connected to Smart Dongle

I would like to know the proper setting for a couple paramaters that i am finding conflicting suggestions:

What should the Charged Voltage setting be for my configuration (Solar + Lithium).

The Smart Shunt manual Settings chapter states:

The “charged voltage” parameter should be set to 0.2V or 0.3V below the float voltage of the charger This is 13.3 or 13.2. Or alternatively, see the table below for the recommended setting which states 13.2 for a 12v battery.

The Victron Video for How to optimize the BMV-700 series sync paramaters for a solar system states the

Charged Voltage should be Absorption -.3 volts or 13.9 for Lithium.

This seems like a large range, but I am thinking it should be 13.9.

What is the suggested Discharge Floor for my configuration? Why is a range from 10%-20% typically given?

For my inital charge is it imporant to limit Max Charge Amps to 5A and extend the Absorption Time to 3 Hr. I have seen both suggested.

Finally a question on Zero Current Callibration. The manual states:

Ensure that there really is no current flowing into or out of the battery. Do this by disconnecting the cable between the load and the SmartShunt and press the “calibrate button” to perform a zero-current calibration.

How can this be done via Victron Connect via SmartShunt since SmartShunt is powered by the battery or is that so small as to being able to neglect? How important is this calibration anyway?

I hope this makes sense and appreciate any suggestions on other critical not standard settings.

Thanks and Cheers

BMV Battery MonitorSmartShunt
1599844879026.png (922.0 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chrisawp avatar image chrisawp commented ·

@VanMan did you manage to get your answers, even though no one responded here? Relevant questions.

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) or someone that could please enlighten us?

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ chrisawp commented ·

Hi @ChrisAWP,

It's fine to bump good questions to the top, but when you do, please do it as a comment. When replying with an 'answer', the question appears to be answered to me and others, and they may not look any further.

I have converted this one to a comment now, so the question still appears unanswered.

0 Likes 0 ·
chrisawp avatar image chrisawp Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
ggg avatar image
ggg answered ·

"Do this by disconnecting the cable between the load and the SmartShunt ....." . NOT the cable between the battery and the SmartShunt!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

We recommend the following BMV or SmartShunt settings for our Smart Lithium batteries:

Peukert exponent: 1.05
Charged Voltage: 13.8V
Tail current: 4%
Charged detection time: 3m
Charge efficiency factor: 99%

There were some other questions seperate from the initial settings, please ask them in a new and seperate question to make it easier for others to find the answer in the future.

3 comments
2 |3000

sjbridges avatar image sjbridges commented ·
The smart shunt manual defines charged voltage as the float voltage of the battery charger. I have a 25.6 v LiFePO4 so that is 27 v. 2 x 13.8 = 27.6. Another Victron source states that charged voltage should be 0.3v under the absorption voltage which would yield 28.4 - 0.3 = 28.1.

So which value should I use for charged voltage?

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ sjbridges commented ·
If you charge via ac power, use the lower float voltage referenced.

If you charge via solar power, use the higher absorption voltage referenced. The solar voltage has to be higher as passing clouds will affect the charging voltage and current, potentially giving a false synchronization to 100%

0 Likes 0 ·
sjbridges avatar image sjbridges klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Actually, I charge with a MPPT 150/100 if the sun shines and it is not the middle of the winter, but if I happen to be living there in the Winter, I fire up the 10 Kv generator and charge with the Multiplus 3000/24/70.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic