question

basti avatar image
basti asked

Cerbo GX - what are the SHUNT options

Hello.

With the Cerbo GX (and Display/App options), the classical BMV-products with their own display seem not to be the preferred solution, if I want to monitor enercy flow.

The 500A/50mV SmartShunt (with Bluetooth) does seem to be overkill in regards to the capabilities (with Bluetooth, since this is already available trough the CerboGX).

I am wondering: What options do I have to connect enery-flow measuring equipment (Shunt) to the Gerbo? There is/used to be a Victron Shunt SHU500050100. Reasonable priced, same specs as the SmartShunt. Question is: Can the CerboGX utilize the data? Or in this regards: Can I buy any 500A/50mV Shunt (at a fraction of the SmartShunt cost) and somehow get the CerboGX read the data?

cerbo gxBMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Basti,

The recommended shunt to use with the Cerbo GX is the SmartShunt.

The Bluetooth feature of the Cerbo GX is only used to configuring network settings out of the box in VictronConnect at this stage, no other function.

The Smart part of the SmartShunt, aside from Bluetooth access via VictronConnect, is that it takes the current information from the shunt, and makes that accessible on the Cerbo GX via VE.Direct.

You cannot connect a bare shunt directly without the circuit board and communications connections to a Cerbo GX.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

basti avatar image basti commented ·

Thank you. Just as a clarification: With the CerboGX, I can use a smart phone/Tablet (Android), and basically see what I would see on a display, connected to the Cerbo, correct?

If I understand you right, then this must happen trough WiFi, and not Bluetooth?

0 Likes 0 ·

Exactly. You can use a smart phone and see the same display as you would with the GX touch 50 in the Remote Console.

You can either connect to the built in Wifi access point, or via an existing wifi network once the Cerbo is configured to connect to it (via the Bluetooth interface).

The fastest way to get the Remote Console is by scanning the QR code on the CerboGX with your phone, and then opening VictronConnect.

0 Likes 0 ·
basti avatar image basti commented ·

Hello and thank you for your answer.

Just as a clarification for me: As far as I know, Instead of using the stationary Display with the Cerbio, I can utilize a smartphone/tablet to connect to the CerboGX (without Internet connection). I thought this would work trough Bluetooth too, but it will work trough W-Lan, correct?

0 Likes 0 ·

That's correct. You might like to watch these videos which demonstrate it:

5 minutes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wheKaU2_qw

55 minutes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-XSuNIyfzg

-1 Like -1 ·
chris-and-kelly-mccall avatar image chris-and-kelly-mccall commented ·
Hi Guy,

This is great info. We are considering the Cerbo but have 3 Smart Solar and would like to pick up the SmartShunt, and I with only 3 connections on the Cerbo, what options would you recommend to attach all 4 devices?

Thanks Much!

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem chris-and-kelly-mccall commented ·
You can use the USB VE.Direct adapter. If you run out of USB ports you can use a USB hub. A powered hub is recommended.

Cerbo will support up to 15 VE.Direct devices.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources