question

marco-beta avatar image
marco-beta asked

smart battery protect or a cyrix-ct?

In my old boat I’m working to improve the electric system.

I’d like to have 2 avg batteries either connected with a smart battery protect or a cyrix-ct to make sure that one of the batteries can always play as starter battery, even if services loads are consuming too much energy.

Moreover, in the future I’m planning to have the service battery charged also by solar panels.

so basically the two batteries are the same ones, when they are above a threshold they should be in parallel, while when there is the risk to discharge too much the starter battery, the circuit should be open.

what is better to use? A smart battery protect or a cyrix-ct? Why? Would this work when in the future I will add solar panels connected to the service battery? Any recommendation?
thanks

Marco

Battery ProtectCyrix Battery Combiner
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Marco Beta, the BatteryProtect and Smart BatteryProtect line is unidirectional in operation ONLY, and must not be used in any configuration which might permit reverse current to flow through it (see the user manuals here), so it is not an option for you at all; the Cyrix-ct, of the two choices you post, is in fact your only option.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

marco-beta avatar image
marco-beta answered ·

Thanks Justin! are cyrix connect/disconnect voltages configurable?

2 |3000