question

alistair-jeffcoat avatar image
alistair-jeffcoat asked

No output from Blue Smart IP67 12/25 charger yet the Bluetooth App shows the charger has an output of 12V DC

We have a Blue Smart IP67 12/25 charger that has been used both as a battery charger and as a power supply while at our workshop. When we have taken the charger to site and used the Bluetooth App to set it up as a Power Supply we get no output voltage at the load when using a multimeter to read the voltage. The information on the Bluetooth App shows that the charger has an output voltage of 12.8V. Even after doing a factory reset and then re-configuring the charger as a power supply there is still no output from the charger yet the App says it has an output voltage of 12.8V. If the unit has suffered from reverse polarity and the internal fuse has blown would the App pick this up?

charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

"If the unit has suffered from reverse polarity and the internal fuse has blown would the App pick this up?"

Unfortunately not but I think that is your problem, you have a blown internal fuse.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lyle-cvinksi avatar image lyle-cvinksi commented ·

The internal fuse is auto-resettable - according to the documentation. But clearly thats not the case.

0 Likes 0 ·
lyle-cvinksi avatar image
lyle-cvinksi answered ·

I have exactly the same problem - They are meant to have a auto reset internal fuse in the event of reverse polarity....
The app connects, seems to think its output of voltage is fine, although it isnt pushing any current.
IMO the design is fatally flawed, the IP67 rating means its sealed, and anyone who owns one of these will attest to how HOT these chargers get. It is really only a matter of time before the whole show is over. More money down the drain.

3 comments
2 |3000

elewis33 avatar image elewis33 commented ·
This same situation has happened to me, with my 12/25 BSC. This is a very strange design to have an internal fuse and not have it be able to be reset. I've looked all through the app and not found where to do this.

I've also looked through the documentation but haven't seen where it says that internal fuse is supposed to reset automatically. I do see where it says there is a non-replaceable internal fuse in the 25 and 35 amp models. Can anyone point me to this documentation, for the IP67 12/25 where it references this fuse reset?

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ elewis33 commented ·
I'm not sure where people are getting the "auto reset" idea - there is no auto-reset reverse polarity fuse. Some of the IP67 chargers (such as the 12/17) have an external fuse that is replaceable in the event it blows due to reverse polarity, but the 12/25 fuse is internal and cannot be reset or replaced once it has blown.

While failure due to connection in reverse polarity would technically not be a warrantable condition, I suggest that you contact the distributor from whom you purchased the unit to get an RMA and have the unit replaced possibly for free out of lenience or possibly at a special price.

1 Like 1 ·
elewis33 avatar image elewis33 Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Justin, and thanks for the response. The problem came about because I used an SAE connector on my battery and the wire colors were swapped vs. what was on the charger side (unbeknownst to me). Apparently the connectors came from different manufacturers and there is no standard for red/male and black/female or vice versa. And yes, in hindsight I should have checked more closely before plugging the charger in, but here I am.

The thing that concerns me about this is that the charger (IP67 12/25) says that it has reverse polarity protection, but only via a non-replaceable internal fuse. Is that really reverse polarity protection? Sure the internal fuse will prevent the thing from burning up, but then the charger is useless after this happens. This is very frustrating to find out this way.

And thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try.

0 Likes 0 ·
gremlin01 avatar image
gremlin01 answered ·

In my case the external fuse in the output cable blew so I opened the cap, used a pliers to grab the fuse and then leveraged it out. Came out quite easily and easy to replace. Finding such a fuse is an interesting exercise in itself.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic