question

jrcresawn avatar image
jrcresawn asked

selecting the right Blue Smart IP67 Charger

In my camper van I have a 12-volt flooded starter battery and a 12-volt gel house battery. Each battery requires a unique charging profile. I charge the gel house battery with a BlueSolar MPPT 75/15 powered by either an Orion-Tr 12/24-10, a 100-watt solar panel, or a laptop power supply. The Orion-Tr 12/24-10 is fed by the van's alternator. With these options my house battery always has sufficient charge.

If my camper van sits for too long the starter battery can lose its charge. I can, and have, wired my BlueSolar MPPT 75/15 to my starter battery, changed the battery profile, and charged it, but that is not very convenient. I am considering the purchase of a Blue Smart IP67 for my starter battery but I'm not sure which model.

I believe the ideal charger for my starter battery would output a maximum of 5.7 amps, which suggests that the Blue Smart IP67 12/7 would be a good fit if I were only charging my starter battery. However if I turn on the Orion-Tr 12/24-10 that would feed my BlueSolar MPPT 75/15 and charge my house battery at the same time. It is easy to set the maximum charging amps in the BlueSolar MPPT 75/15 for my house battery to 7 amps or less. Would either a Blue Smart IP67 12/7 or Blue Smart IP67 12/13 be an appropriate charger for my proposed use case? 13 amps is more than I need for the starter battery alone but it would be a good choice when both battery chargers are in bulk mode. I worry that the 7-amp charger will not be able to produce enough current when both chargers are in bulk mode.

charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

You could also use a DC to DC Orion Converter to take from the house bank and charge the engine bank ie a 12 volt to 12 volt 9 amp unit. this is under 100 usd and you can adjust the output charge rate to suit the battery. ie a ORI121210110R

just one solution

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic