henklor avatar image
henklor asked

Multiplus 12/2000/80 charge function works intermittently

I have some issues with my MP12/2000 on the boat.:

- Unit is connected to a multi control panel

- Inverter works fine

- turn on Generator and apply AC power to the unit, "main" led doesn't lid up

- voltage: 119VAC, freq. 60 HZ

- switch to "Charger only"; intermittently the unit shows "Mains on" / "bulk charge"

- This can last 5 minutes or 5 seconds

- Tried with different current limits; no difference

- removed the multi panel from the system and use the "charge only" mode on the unit; Nothing happens

- The problem occurs with Shore and generator power...

Kinda lost and like to charge my batteries as the voltage is close to 12V

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerbattery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Ok you will need to connect to the unit via a MK3 interface with a computer and the Victron VE config program. then try changing the UPS selection to off and see if this helps, if not also try turning ON week AC (this is under the charger tab)

One of these selections should help you (Some times both need to be turned on) its usually due to a moving or unsteady frequency (or dirty sign wave) from the generator or the shore power supply.

also now a days you can also do this with your android phone and using Victron Connect app, but you still need a MK3 usb to VE Bus unit ( NOTE as far as I know the older MK2 will not work with the Victron Connect app)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

henklor avatar image
henklor answered ·

Thanks Paul,

I do have the cable and will check this out. I think I already set last year as I had issues but will double check. If indeed set correctly, I'm lost.

2 |3000

henklor avatar image
henklor answered ·

Connected the MK3 interface and fairly quickly found the issue... At random intervals, the MP registers the incoming generator frequency incorrectly. Suddenly you see it jumping from 61.2 to 157Hz, 116Hz etc. This is only for a split second, but enough to disable the charger function. I'm afraid that this is caused by a "dirty" AC and the MP12/2000. Probably nothing I can do about this...

2 |3000