question

abeausoleil avatar image
abeausoleil asked

Smart solar 100/30 Voltage Too High Momentarily

I turned off a device connected to my solar setup today and when it powered off I heard a beep. Upon further inspection I realized it was the high voltage alarm on my inverter turning on momentarily. I turned the device on and back off and realized from looking at my battery monitor that the voltage was jumping up to 15v or more for a split second (my lifepo4 battery is charged to 14.6). when I the load goes away. I also charge this battery from a sterling battery to battery charger, so I turned off the solar charge controller and started up the vehicle to start using that charger exclusively. When I turned off the device, this time the issue did not happen.

I should also mention that when the load is turned off and the voltage spikes, the three lights on the front of the charge controller flash.

It seems to me that the solar charge controller is causing the problem? It only seems to be happening after the latest update? This is a brand new problem. We have been using this device for a couple of months without any issues till now. Very strange! Any advice would be appreciated. I have to disable it for now which stinks, but at least I have a backup charging method.

-Alex

MPPT Controllersvoltage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Maybe have a read of this re Lithium Lipo battery charge settings I am not saying in any way that they are correct but its worth a read https://marinehowto.com/lifepo4-batteries-on-boats/

Please send a screen shot of the reg settings and a shot of the history pages for the controller

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kosio86 avatar image
kosio86 answered ·

Any luck finding the problem? I have the very same issue but it spikes to 16.5v. I haven't noticed such spike wen charging with Sterling BB1260.

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi @kosio86

You'll have to charge to a bit lower voltage, a LiFePO4 battery that is charged too high cannot absorb any current and this is the result.

charging to 14 volt for example should make a great difference.

0 Likes 0 ·
kosio86 avatar image kosio86 Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi,

I've actually set the Absorption voltage to 13.95v and Float to 13.3v. I am still conservative, as I wanted to start with lower values.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic