question

lonewolf75495 avatar image
lonewolf75495 asked

Can I leave the Blue Smart IP67 24v/12a hooked to my Battle Born batteries when it's not charging and unhooked from AC power?

I have two Battle Born batteries hooked in series for 24v. I'd like to keep the Blue Smart IP67 24/12 hooked up to the batteries when I'm not charging them, and also unhook the charger from AC power. I only hook up the charger when solar doesn't top up the batteries at the end of the day. I'm afraid the batteries might damage the charger by back feeding it when it's not powered up.

charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Pieter Boomsma avatar image
Pieter Boomsma answered ·

No problem, this chargers are also used in campers etc. where they are almost never disconnected.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lonewolf75495 avatar image lonewolf75495 commented ·

Thank you for the info. I've been disconnecting and reconnecting the charger each day, and after three months, it's getting irritating. I do know that when I reconnect the charger, I use a resistor to charge the capacitors in the charger or else I get a spark. That's why I was worried about keeping the charger hooked up all the time. The manual on the IP65, If I remember correctly, states that it can be left hooked up, but nothing about this in the IP67 manual.

0 Likes 0 ·
wild-thing avatar image
wild-thing answered ·

How much current does the charger draw from the batteries then? If its a few mA, your batteries might drain, if you leave it like this for a long time (e.g. winter)

1 comment
2 |3000

lonewolf75495 avatar image lonewolf75495 commented ·

The charger is used to top up my full time solar system. I have to top up the batteries most each day because of the neighbor's trees. I'm just tired of having to unhook and re-hook the charger each day. The charger's draw is negligible.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic