question

kleve2 avatar image
kleve2 asked

Blue Smart IP65 Charger with MPPT Solar Charger

I want to add on my Caravan a Solar Panel. Actual is build in a Blue Smart IP65 Charger that charges a 50Ah AGM Batterie. For charging with solar i bought a BlueSolar MPPT 75/15 Charger.
My Question, can i connect the MPPT Charger parallel with the Shore power Charger direct on the Batterie?

mppt chargingshorepower
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
misullivan avatar image
misullivan answered ·

Providing both are configured the same (voltages) yes they can..

Just ensure you don’t exceed the charging current when both are running..

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kleve2 avatar image kleve2 commented ·

Thanks for your answer Misullivan,
may you could explain me what you mean with that: "Just ensure you don’t exceed the charging current when both are running." How can i make this ensure?

0 Likes 0 ·
misullivan avatar image misullivan kleve2 commented ·

A 50ah AGM battery should not be charged at a higher rate than 10Amps, and ideally no more than 5amps... if your solar charger is charging at 7amps and you have a shore power charger running at 7amps you have 14amps charge rate... this is above the max charge rate if you don’t want to boil the battery dry (ie shorten it’s expected life significantly)...

If you have the shore power cut out the solar charger then this problem is resolved.. otherwise you need to put in a shunt, BVM and network the solar charger to know what the current charge rate is and therefore backoff the charge rate.

(solar charger = MPPT)

0 Likes 0 ·
misullivan avatar image misullivan misullivan commented ·

And I completely missed you said bluesmart charger and bluesolar... you don’t need the BVM.. use the local smartnet (Bluetooth) and they will ensure the max charge rate is not exceeded. (I was thinking you had a non Victron charger.. sorry.)

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Yes you can no problem, but if you use both at the same time (also possible and fine) they won't be in perfect sync.

2 |3000

thorvald avatar image
thorvald answered ·

How can we be sure the MPPT or the charger see the correct battery voltage? I have a similar setup and the MPPT gets woefully confused thinking the battery is ready for absorption or float mode, it appears to be seeing the voltage from the Blue Smart charger.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic