question

Herve RV Nizard avatar image
Herve RV Nizard asked

Battery monitor required for Virtual switch ?

Trying to solve a customer problem and set them with Virtual switch .

They have a quattro 24/5000 . No grid tied, but grid assist. they DO NOT have a BMV or any other battery monitor .

Can the VS work without a battery monitor ? We have set in the VS :

AC ON if batteries reach 23V or if load higher than 4500 W for 60 Sec

AC OFF when battery back to 24,5V or load lower than 2500 W for 60 sec.

The relay does not seem to work properly . It does not switch ON or OFF when reaching the set parameters. Before all I just wanted to check if a battery monitor is required for VS ?

Thanks

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerSOC
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
rickp avatar image
rickp answered ·

I use the Virtual Switch in my Multiplus, and though I have a BMV712 monitoring the system, it is not connected to the Multiplus at all. I use the VS to prioritize solar use, and only access grid power when voltage reaches a set low point.

One thing I did learn was that the VS wasn’t an “either/or” type setup. Any VS On condition can trigger the relay, and obviously must clear before the relay releases or it’ll cycle endlessly. The best way to turn VS off is to use the “when no VS On condition exists for “X” minutes.“ Otherwise, all VS Off condition must also be met to revert the the non-VS-switched state.

I found it best to use one on and one off criteria. With careful planning more can be integrated, but a close eye has to be kept on interaction.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.