question

green-monster avatar image
green-monster asked

CANBus interface on GX

I have mainly a Victron system installed in a 5th Wheel RV; 1020W of Solar panels thru a 105V/100A MPPT solar controller, and a 12V/3000W/120A Inverter/Charger for shore side charging with a Bluetooth VE buss smart dongle. I installed it myself and used a MK2-USB to set up the Mulitiplus for the 500 Amps of AGM batteries I have. I also have a BMV-712 to monitor the system. I'm interested in upgrading to Lithium batteries and also adding one of the GX devices to be able to remotely monitor my system (I currently only use bluetooth locally).

I'm looking at Lithionics batteries, their internal BMS models have an output cable that supports RVIA RV-C and CANbus information, specifically it provides battery Voltage and Current data, battery Temperature and SOC data, remaining Ah capacity, desired charger state and charge specs, HVC and LVC status, total Ah capacity and current Power, accepts ON/OFF/Charge-ON commands and a few others. The link for the information specifications and protocols is here.

I've tried asking and looking around, but can't find anyone with answers. I would like to know if any of the Victron Venus GX or Color Control GX or Cerbo GX interfaces can accept this data from the Lithionics GTX12V315A batteries internal BMS using the CANBus data interface. And if all I would need is the Lithionics cable (75-H1FCR-CS2 Ampseal 8 Harness Kit), to plug into one of the GX's.

Also, is specific programming required for the GX?

Venus OSVenus GX - VGXgx device
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
banana avatar image
banana answered ·

Any progress on this. I’m also interested in doing this.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jordanb avatar image
jordanb answered ·

Meanwhile, a year and a half later... I would also like an answer to this question. Not encouraged about my first time using the Victron community forum to find my exact question was asked almost 18 months ago and no answer from anyone.

Is it possible to connect the GTX12V315A CanBUS connector to a CerboGX?
Can anyone from Victron (or Lithionics) address this question?

2 |3000

bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

@Jordanb Take a look at this link. This has details of which batteries are formally supported by Victron. If not on the list then I would make contact with Lithionics (who are unlikely to be monitoring this forum) and ask them what support if any they have for Victron.

I have done a quick search of teh web and found a YouTube video of someone that has integrated a Lithionics system with Victron, and a few PDF documents. It would seem that it is very dependant on which Lithionics batteries/BMS you go with.

2 |3000

msmolow avatar image
msmolow answered ·

@Jordanb

"Is it possible to connect the GTX12V315A CanBUS connector to a CerboGX?"

The short answer is no, not until Victron updates the Cerbo to understand RV-C. If that happens then yes.

2 |3000

riprock99 avatar image
riprock99 answered ·

I am a little confused by msmolow's answer. It appears that Lithionics does support RV-C, as the original poster wrote, and as the linked document bathnm shows. Or is there something I dont understand here?

2 |3000

msmolow avatar image
msmolow answered ·

Lithionics supports RV-C. Victron GX products currently do not.

If and when Victron interfaces with RV-C then Lithionics should integrate.

2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

Look in the modifications space under the current beta test v2.90 Venus OS, under the modifications currently being tested for RV-C it states the following so something may well be on the horizon

• Inbound battery data has been tested and verified with Lithionics batteries, which support native RV-C. The Lithionics batteries also support DVCC with CVL and CCL. Although other manufacturers might work, this is not tested and also not supported: do not install systems like that.
2 |3000

joedmadden avatar image
joedmadden answered ·

Page 70 of the Cerbo GX manual under the list of supported Devices in Venus v2.90 says "RV-C batteries: Lithionics is the only supported RV-C battery (including DVCC support)"

2 |3000

Related Resources

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic